Any tips for intricate molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
I'm making some silicone molds that have fairly delicate features. I'm planning on pouring on the thinner side of trace and vibrating the mold to help the soap seat and displace any caught air. This will be my first fancy mold though and was curious if anybody with experience could share their tips.

Last edited:
making your own molds? wow, that's very interesting, pics please :D

i agree with pouring on thin trace, and tapping as much as you can to prevent air bubbles. perhaps put the molds in a tray or something so it's easier to tap. that's what i did anyway for this type of mold.

making your own molds? wow, that's very interesting, pics please :D

i agree with pouring on thin trace, and tapping as much as you can to prevent air bubbles. perhaps put the molds in a tray or something so it's easier to tap. that's what i did anyway for this type of mold.

Will do. Don't expect rapid updates though. It took me almost a year to start this project and now I'm fitting it in between a busy schedule. Here's the positives in plaster that I cast from a silicone ice tray.

IMG_4130.jpg

Yes, pour as thin as you can. I think I read somewhere to spray the mold with alcohol before you pour. I've never done that, though. You might try it to see if it has any effect. I just pour very thin. Before trace, even. When the batter is just emulsified, but not traceable. Really nice job on those molds!!!

Will do. Don't expect rapid updates though. It took me almost a year to start this project and now I'm fitting it in between a busy schedule. Here's the positives in plaster that I cast from a silicone ice tray.

Being a Star Wars fan, I absolutely love that mold. :) Very creative and out of the box thinking.

Those are awesome, I love them!

But... I hate to be a wet blanket here, but I hope you don't mean to sell them. Both Lucasfilm and Disney are very protective about their copyrights. In fact, just meaning to distribute a licensed image could possibly get you in hot water :( Just something to consider.

I think those are awesome molds! However, new12soap is correct. Disney threatened to sue 2 daycare centers for using the Mickey Mouse image if they were not removed in a certain time frame. They do not play.

Those are awesome, I love them!

But... I hate to be a wet blanket here, but I hope you don't mean to sell them. Both Lucasfilm and Disney are very protective about their copyrights. In fact, just meaning to distribute a licensed image could possibly get you in hot water :( Just something to consider.

I think those are awesome molds! However, new12soap is correct. Disney threatened to sue 2 daycare centers for using the Mickey Mouse image if they were not removed in a certain time frame. They do not play.

Yeah these are not for sale, they are a personal gift for my mom. Even then I'll keep an eye out for douchey George.

Yes, pour as thin as you can. I think I read somewhere to spray the mold with alcohol before you pour. I've never done that, though. You might try it to see if it has any effect. I just pour very thin. Before trace, even. When the batter is just emulsified, but not traceable. Really nice job on those molds!!!

I am not certain of the mechanics in separation, I was planning on using a soap base of probably just RBO, or OO with CO and Castor oil with out any scent (momma can't smell), and coloring with bentonite. Does that sound pretty safe?

amazing!!! i can't get pourable silicone over here, otherwise i would love to try making my own molds too.

I have been wondering about pouring before trace - is there no disadvantage? Because I am a perfectionist and I hate the little blobby bits on the top of my soap, I would love a completely smooth edge.

I am not certain of the mechanics in separation, I was planning on using a soap base of probably just RBO, or OO with CO and Castor oil with out any scent (momma can't smell), and coloring with bentonite. Does that sound pretty safe?

I have been wondering about pouring before trace - is there no disadvantage? Because I am a perfectionist and I hate the little blobby bits on the top of my soap, I would love a completely smooth edge.

As a beginning soaper, I was always nervous about pouring before trace. It took me a long time to get over that fear. But the more I soaped and observed, I became able to determine when the soap had emulsified to the point where it wasn't going to separate again. I'm not sure I could explain to someone how to tell the difference. It's one of those things you learn by feel and experience, watching the soap batter as you mix it, noticing when there are no oily streaks any more, or oily shine at the top, is the best way I can explain it. If you use the same recipe most of the time as I do, and about the same size batch, then you know about how long it takes to reach trace, so you need to mix it long enough, but not quite to that point. I know, that's not much help, but I remember reading posts where experienced soapers talked about pouring at the point of emulsification, and wondering how the heck they could tell, and then eventually......I got to where I could recognize it myself. I stick blend for a while, then stir with the stick blender, blend again.....and watch. I wish I could explain it better than that. The more you soap, the easier it will become. Fingers crossed for you!

I saw molds like that on Amazon! They also have the Millennium Falcon and x-wings...my kids are begging me to buy them. I think I'm gonna put them on my wishlist and let Santa get them for me :)

PS--for my fellow Whovians...they also have TARDIS and dalek molds :D

As a beginning soaper, I was always nervous about pouring before trace. It took me a long time to get over that fear. But the more I soaped and observed, I became able to determine when the soap had emulsified to the point where it wasn't going to separate again. I'm not sure I could explain to someone how to tell the difference. It's one of those things you learn by feel and experience, watching the soap batter as you mix it, noticing when there are no oily streaks any more, or oily shine at the top, is the best way I can explain it. If you use the same recipe most of the time as I do, and about the same size batch, then you know about how long it takes to reach trace, so you need to mix it long enough, but not quite to that point. I know, that's not much help, but I remember reading posts where experienced soapers talked about pouring at the point of emulsification, and wondering how the heck they could tell, and then eventually......I got to where I could recognize it myself. I stick blend for a while, then stir with the stick blender, blend again.....and watch. I wish I could explain it better than that. The more you soap, the easier it will become. Fingers crossed for you!

I follow this idea as well. I might call it "very light trace". Some soaps I like to bring to full trace, to put some wave/ripple effects on them of some sort. I'm not the most artistic with my effects at this point. I love swirls though. And for swirls I cant go to full trace, it doesn't look nearly as nice to me when I do. If I want ripples + swirls, I will let it set some after I swirled it. I'll clean up a little bit, then go back to add those ripple effects.

Hope this adds a little bit to the idea.

Back