Hydrogenated Castor Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dosco

Reaction score
I was reading the ingredients of my antiperspirant ... one ingredient is hydrogenated castor oil.

This was a bit interesting to me because hydrogenated tallow is supposedly the magic ingredient of old shaving soaps due to stearic acid content.

Would soap made from hydrogenated castor oil behave differently than one made from non-hydrogenated castor oil?

Regards-
Dave

our friends at Wikipedia tell us that it's also known as Castor Wax "used in polishes, cosmetics, electrical capacitors, carbon paper, lubrication, and coatings and greases where resistance to moisture, oils and petrochemical products is required".

The article provides a SAP value of 179, but a melting point of 80 oC.

Castor oil is mostly ricinoleic acid, with very little stearic acid, so I don't think it's comparable to hydrogenated tallow.
Maybe it would make a hard soap that lasts forever!

Just crazy wild guessing here...
Wonder what happens if you try to saponify a wax?

The ingredient in deodorants is usually the zinc salt of ricinoleic acid, which you could probably partially generate if you added a innocuous zinc salt to your saponification reaction. That's just a thought - I'd look it up if you are interested.

Hydrogenated ricinoleic acid becomes 12-Hydroxystearic acid, a variant of stearic acid, so the things you read might be true. The 12-hydroxsteric acid might be nice in a shaving soap. Give it a shot and report back! :p

I've read of one person who soaped with it, but unfortunately I don't know how much she used, and she didn't say much else about it accept to say that it accelerated trace really fast.

I've mostly read of others using it in lip balms and other skin balms (instead of soap). The commercial product called Un-petroleum Jelly lists it in the ingredients.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it in soap, adding it in the same way as one would add beeswax or maybe lanolin.

IrishLass :)

Hydrogenated ricinoleic acid becomes 12-Hydroxystearic acid, a variant of stearic acid, so the things you read might be true. The 12-hydroxsteric acid might be nice in a shaving soap. Give it a shot and report back! :p

I'd love to try it in a shave soap. Where the heck do I get it?

-Dave

Latest posts

Back