Need Recipe for Limited Ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
Well I was going to make a Castile soap but after finding out that it takes 6 months to cure, I've changed my mind. I currently have coconut oil and olive oil on hand that I would like a recipe for. I can get any of the following also if need be; lard, sunflower oil, safflower oil and grapeseed oil.
Anyone have a recipe that would make under 3# using just coconut oil and olive oil?

Here is a 2 lb recipe. I would dissolve 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp sugar in the water before adding the lye. It will help harden the bar and increase bubbles.

25 oz olive oil,
7 oz coconut oil
12 oz water
4.40 oz lye.

BTW, you didn't mention being able to get Castor oil but not much is used for this and you can get it at a drug store.

My most favorite bar of soap(right now) uses stuff I buy locally.

It is this:

Lard- 55%
Coconut oil- 20%
Olive oil- 20%
Castor oil- 5%

Sugar 1 tablespoon PPO

You can easily plug this into soapcalc.net and put how large you want the batch to change it.

BTW, you didn't mention being able to get Castor oil but not much is used for this and you can get it at a drug store.

I've seen Castor at Wal-Mart but only in like 4 oz containers. I haven't looked at Walgreens or any other pharmacy type place for it. I have some on order but prob won't get it for at least another week.

My earliest soaps were 70% Olive oil, 30% Coconut, 8% superfat, and they aren't bad soaps. But they are improved with additions as in the recipes above.

OR

Make a salt bar with 85% coconut oil, 15% olive oil, 10-20% superfat and add 80% of the oils weight as salt at trace :)

I've seen Castor at Wal-Mart but only in like 4 oz containers. I haven't looked at Walgreens or any other pharmacy type place for it. I have some on order but prob won't get it for at least another week.

Just use the Walmart kind until you get in the online order. That is exactly what I use. I generally make 2 lb oil recipes, so those small bottles are great.

I forgot to say where I get everything, but the lard and castor oil come from Walmart, and the coconut and olive oil(cheap yellow stuff works best for me) come from Sam's. NaOH is cheaper from Essential Depot, but I have used the Roebic 100% lye from Lowe's more than once. I have used the essential oils from Hobby Lobby, but that is really expensive. Find a cheaper source online.

That's enough for most batches.

Surprisingly my Lowes doesn't carry the Roebic lye but Menards and Ace Hardware does but I found it cheaper at a local Amish store - 32 oz for under $5 and coconut oil at the same Amish store for cheaper than the LouAnn brand at Wal-Mart.

I have an order of other oils on its way but won't be here for a week or so.

You may want to scope out your local health food store (or maybe Whole Foods or Sprouts) for castor oil. My local family-owned health food store sells a large 32 oz. bottle of the HomeHealth brand of castor oil (people use it for warm castor oil packs for sore muscles and other things). That's what I use in a pinch whenever I've run out of my bulk castor.

IrishLass :)

here is my recipe for you. Hope it would help!!

80% olive Oil
20% coconut Oil
Or, to make about 4.5 lbs of soap, you would use:
40 oz. olive oil
10 oz. coconut oil
16 oz. water
6.9 oz. lye
Between 1.5 and 2.2 oz of fragrance or essential oil, according to your preference

Surprisingly my Lowes doesn't carry the Roebic lye but Menards and Ace Hardware does but I found it cheaper at a local Amish store - 32 oz for under $5 and coconut oil at the same Amish store for cheaper than the LouAnn brand at Wal-Mart.

I have an order of other oils on its way but won't be here for a week or so.

32 oz for under $5! That is an awesome deal! No shipping to pay! And the CO also! You are indeed a lucky one!

The ordnance of each sect varies, but typically the limits are imposed on the members, not how they get ingredients/equipment to the stores. Amish stores usually are supplied from cooperative buying situations. It is why they can get good prices. I understand that it does not make much sense to you and I, but it does to them, and that is all that matters.

Back