Aromafix?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I came across a product called "Aromafix" which is suppose to make your fragrance oils last. It is suitable for bar soap. It is a raw material derived from glucose. INCI name: PPG-20 Methyl Glucose Ether. Has anyone used this?

I hadn't heard of it until your post, but I will say that I find Lotioncrafters to be exceptionally good. Jenny knows her stuff, so I would have no hesitation trying anything on that site. (I don't work for them, just a fan).

If you do decide to give it a try let us know how it works out.

I own a small bottle but have never used it. I'm not sure how much to use. I'm happy to do two test soaps today, one with and one without and report back. Still not sure how much to use though.

I see it say 2-5%. Now to choose a fragrance.....

Last edited:
I have used a bit but was advised by people on Basenotes to use no more than 1% otherwise it flattens the top notes. I'm still not sure if it helps....

I use it for perfume not soap though.

Last edited:
I've not used the product. Their website states that it is suitable for bar soaps and to use between 2 - 5%, so I tend to agree with the post above. Try 1% to start, but I'd likely not use more than 2% at most. Please let us know how it works out. Very interesting indeed.

Well I used 5%, so we shall see. I can try it again at a lower % with the same FO and I will report back. It thickened the soap considerably and it's the consistency of corn syrup. I have more soaping to do tomorrow so I will try it at 1-2%.

I'm wondering how this would work with that elusive sweet orange e.o. Even the 10x really fades eventually.

Aromafix on label?

how would you list the aromafix on your ingredients label? Or would it not be necessary to list it?

I wanted to come back and give the results I had with Aromafix.

I used it in two test bars using it at 5%. Well, actually one bar had no AromaFix and the other had it at 5%. I soaped them on 10/24/14 and I took them out today to take a smell. The one with Aromafix definitely smells more complex, like the notes were not destroyed by the lye monster. More like it smells OOB. I tested The Vert by Lebermuth. The bar with no Aromafix has lost a lot of complexity and is a bit lighter in smell. The difference is not extreme, but worth it in my opinion.

I also did a small bar with a wood blend I made. It said on Lotioncrafter that Aromafix does not work well with wood scents, but the fragrance really stuck well and stayed complex. Unfortunately, I have never used this blend I made before and I did not make a control soap so I can't tell if it really worked, sorry. I'm really happy with the fragrance of the wood blend so I will try it again with a control soap.

All in all, I am happy enough with the result that I will use the rest of my small bottle for more testing and will likely order a larger bottle. For me, it's worth it if it keeps the complexity of the fragrance that it has in the bottle. Not sure how the soaps will fare in the long run, time will tell.

Thanks for this post. My scent basically disappeared in my M&P and rather than go to the top end of the IRFA limits, I'd happily use a little chemical magic if it helps.

Latest posts

Back