What temperature you cooking hp soap? Is 200F ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be okay, but might not need much time. It seems that power* has been upped in the newer ones sold in the USA

* slow cookers seem to work on power used rather than temperature, per se (just from a bit of google research)

Lately I've been cooking in a pot on the stove. I use just enough heat to melt the oils/fats, and then turn the heat on and off over time as it cooks in order to prevent it from scorching.

BTW my crockpot gets very hot ... the first batches of HP I made in that I had to pay very close attention to keep the "batter" well stirred to avoid problems.

-Dave

I do HP in my oven set to 170F/77C- 180/82CF.

In my notes gleaned from several websites, I have a written reference that the newer crockpots heat to around 200F when set on low (instead of the 176F/80C that the old ones used to heat up to on low). To check and see how hot the new ones heat up to, some people on the sites I visited cooked just water in their crockpot, and then checked the temp of the water with a thermometer.

IrishLass :)

If you are unsure, keep an eye on it. Don't just stick a timer on and leave it until it rings, rather check at certain stages and see what is happening. That way over time you will get used to how long it takes for you (your pot, your recipes and so on)

I did not cook SF yet. I cooked my first soap a week ago, HP 100% coconut soap, no SF. I believe there are two ways to add SF to HP soap, either at trace time or after it is cooked. Which way is better?

I did not cook SF yet. I cooked my first soap a week ago, HP 100% coconut soap, no SF. I believe there are two ways to add SF to HP soap, either at trace time or after it is cooked. Which way is better?

Did you make a laundry soap? 100% CO with no superfat is going to be really drying if using for bathsoap. I add my superfat after the cook when it's cooled down a bit.

Yes, it is laundry soap. I am already using it. It is very good. I am thinking about my next soap with SF and EOs.

Latest posts

Back