If Only......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soap7.jpg

Not to mention ungainly ankles....I should stock up just in case I get some of those. :lol:

Is that for real or a spoof? If it was for real, you can easily see why they had to bring in regulations about false advertising and the like. Wouldn't it be fabulous though, being able to just erase pouches of flab by rubbing a soap over it :lol:

I don't think it is a spoof. I've seen old advertisements and often wondered how the company could get away with making claims. I figured people would be really angry when the product didn't work. But maybe by the time angry people showed up, the company was gone and setting up elsewhere under a new name with a different product.

Yes- I highly suspect Hazel is correct...... or maybe I just highly suspect Hazel (I keep forgetting which one). ;)

I believe the ad may indeed be the real thing...from the 1920's, I think. And if the other pics I found on the interwebs are to be believed, that particular company wasn't the only one selling soap with such claims.

It makes me wonder how many people with the heartbreak of unbecoming wrists and ungainly ankles actually fell for it and bought some.

IrishLass :)

Here's a classic. What our poor grandmas had to put up with... Lysol marketing

Sure, she's perfectly done up, making candlelit dinners while wearing an evening gown, good at budgeting, loving and exhibiting most attributes of a Disney princess - but...

offending_lysol4.jpg

Last edited:
If only such a soap existed, then I can eat all the food I want... then again, it will not help me with the blood pressure and diabetes that would come with it.

@snappyllama: I'm grateful that I was not born around that time period. The only thing shorter than my fuse towards such insults would have been my life expectancy.

Last edited:
Im with New12...that's a 'Lysol' ad??? Holy Moly!!:shock:

Im with New12...that's a 'Lysol' ad??? Holy Moly!!:shock:

Shockingly- yes- it is a Lysol ad! :crazy: My curiosity got the best of me and I did a search. Apparently, it was once heavily touted as a feminine douche as well as spermicidal birth control. Well, I guess I can't say that I didn't learn something new today! Yikes!

Here is an article about it from the Smithsonian magazine: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...-disinfectant-as-birth-control-218734/?no-ist

...and another one: http://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/one-of-the-biggest-deceptions-in-advertising-history#2xlda

And here is an entertaining site I found as I was searching about. It's a collection of horrible old ads from yesteryear filled with bad, silly, and downright insulting advice for women: http://doioffend.net/

IrishLass :)

Lysol as a douche and a spermicide... :sick:

Thanks, IrishLass, as awful as it is, it's interesting!

Latest posts

Back