Poll: What is your maximum percentage of coconut in a batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much is the max?

• 30-100%

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 30%

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Less than 20%

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use 100% CO, of course, in my 100% CO/20% S/F formula, and also in my salt bar formula.

In my tallow/lard formula I use 8% CO, plus 23% PKO for a total of 31% bubbly oils.

In my all-veggie formula I use 11% CO, plus enough PKO and babassu to equal a total of 28% bubbly oils.

IrishLass :)

Except for "man" soaps, where I use 25% coconut, I too split with PKO for the rest of my soaps. 20% coconut - 5% pko. Seems to bubble nice and doesn't leave a "squeaky clean" feeling.

Although.... I started out with 25% coconut and no one told me personally that they felt too clean or strippy. I just changed because *I* thought that 25% felt too cleansing.

I've used 80% with 18%SF salt bar, salt 100% of oil wt. Lathered terribly, and it is drying to me. I must be a sensitive one to CO. I've used 20% in my recipes and it is great for me. I did two batches with 21.8+% so 22%...it is slightly too drying for me, but it is for an oily teen;-)
My super oily brother in law, I *may* do 25%. That's just a thought for a future batch.

Next salt bar I'm planning on 75% CO, May do 22% SF and 70% salt of oil wt. That will hopefully work better for me.

Edit, so 20% is my go to # for basic bars. May do 18% for sensitive skin, 22-25% for oily and 75% for salt bar.

I use palm kernel instead of coconut and I never go over 20% unless I'm making a specialty soap of some kind. I think my mechanics soap has 30% palm kernel while my salt bars are 80% coconut.

I've used 80% with 18%SF salt bar, salt 100% of oil wt. Lathered terribly, and it is drying to me. I must be a sensitive one to CO. I've used 20% in my recipes and it is great for me. I did two batches with 21.8+% so 22%...it is slightly too drying for me, but it is for an oily teen;-)
My super oily brother in law, I *may* do 25%. That's just a thought for a future batch.

Next salt bar I'm planning on 75% CO, May do 22% SF and 70% salt of oil wt. That will hopefully work better for me.

Edit, so 20% is my go to # for basic bars. May do 18% for sensitive skin, 22-25% for oily and 75% for salt bar.

I forgot to mention the percentage being without alot of superfat. I know a lot of people go 10-20 SF in pure CO recipes. Sounds good. Thank you. :)

I usually use CO plus PKO for a total of 30% bubbly oils. I superfat at 8-10%. I've never had anyone say that my soap was drying.

I have used as little as 5% and as much as 25% other than full co soaps and salt bars. I typically sf between 5-7%, again except full co and salt bars, and the bars still feel nice. I think it depends on the combo of oils too though. I don't mind a higher use of co if I have some almond or avocado in the mix. Seems to balance it out.

i'm currently preparing and will eventually test soaps with CO from 0-30%.
I've made and used 0% and 30% CO soaps in the past, but b/c my skin is not very sensitive to the changes, I can't really feel the difference.

Happily use 80% CO or more in my soaps for my own daily use. Don't find it at all drying. 5% SF.

There is a famous French shaving soap that is 50% coconut oil. I made a test piece and I didn't care for it - it irritated my skin.

Lately my shave soaps have 25% coconut oil and are superfatted at 5% such that the SF is coconut oil.

Cheers-
Dave

I use 60% and super fatted 20% but still feel dry on my skin.. now decrease to 20%, still wait for curing time to be tested :)

For salt bars, I use 80% of coconut oil, with a 15% SF
There was once I made 100% coconut oil with 20% SF.
However, in my usual recipes, I usually only use 20% - 22% coconut oil, with 20% being the normal percentage that I usually use

Latest posts

Back