Pumpkin Salt Bars: Input Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderwagn

Reaction score
Going to make some pumpkin salt bars today with a pumpkin fo that I posted on earlier. I have scoured around here and the web looking for info on adding vegetable and fruit puree to soap and at what rate. Most information I've found is a bit vague. Some say to substitute an equal amount of the puree for the water and some not. I am planning on a small batch and I think I'm going to add 1 oz of pumpkin puree per lb of oils in the recipe, so 2oz puree :crazy:
Does this sound about right? Here is what I have so far for review and input:

Screenshot 2014-10-05 at 8.17.34 AM.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I would do. Up the water to 38% unless you have made salt bars with this fo and know it will not accelerate. Salt bars will thicken quickly when you add in the salt even if the fo is non-accelerating.
I would mix my lye with 5.1 oz water only. Now you have 7 oz extra liquid to play with. If you have any coconut milk, I would mix it with the pumpkin to make up the 7 oz or you can use 7 oz pumpkin puree. I would also up the castor to 7% and lower the OO to 13%. Also if you have any shea I would add in 6% shea and deduct the 6% from the Olive Oil. I do not really like shea in soap, but it is very nice in a salt bar. Do not insulate, with all the sugar in the pumpkin, the extra water and the pumpkin fo it will heat up.

Last edited:
What I would do is use 5 oz water and mix your lye. You will now have 6.2 oz extra liquid to play with, which means you can use 6.2 oz pumpkin puree, or mix the puree with water, coconut milk etc to make up the 6.2 oz of needed liquid. I would also recommend you up the the castor to 7% and the OO to 13%. If you have any shea adding in 6% will make a very nice salt bar. Can't tell but it looks like you discounted the liquid in soap calc, use the default of 38%. I was basing my answer on using 35%. Unless you know for a fact that your fo does not accelerate you should not discount salt bars

Very helpful. I probably wont do shea on this go around, but may adjust the castor and OO. What is the reasoning in lowering the OO and increase in castor? Just curious.
I do believe my FO does accelerate somewhat so I may need to adjust liquids.
Thanks for input!

Very helpful. I probably wont do shea on this go around, but may adjust the castor and OO. What is the reasoning in lowering the OO and increase in castor? Just curious.
I do believe my FO does accelerate somewhat so I may need to adjust liquids.
Thanks for input!
Castor will up the lather factor. If you have sunflower it makes an even nicer salt bar. Nothing wrong with OO I am just not a big fan of OO. Also I never superfat over 16%. I find 20% leaves the bar feeling oily, but that is my opinion

Here is an updated view:

If I upped the pumpkin puree to say 4 oz, do you think that is to high? Could it make the soap gooey? Or?

Screenshot 2014-10-05 at 10.14.29 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I really would up the pumpkin to at least 5 oz then use the balance of liquid for your lye if you do not want to use any other liquid. Pumpkin in soap is very nice and in my opinion only 2 ounces is just going to get lost in the mix. Do not wait until trace to add in your fo. I get mine to emulsification add in the fo by stirring then dump in the salt and stir like crazy. It may or may not thicken quickly depending on your particular fo. I love pumpkin and coconut milk in my pumpkin salt bars

I'm also trying out a new (to me) mold method. I've had such varied results with using 3" pvc and cutting, that I decided to cut the pvc into individual molds
1412533367935.jpg

I unmolded all of the soaps this morning. They came out of the mold much easier than haggling with a 2 or 3 foot length of pipe.
The soap smells great, and I had anticipated more discoloration, but for the most part they stayed a nice natural looking orange. :-D

this thread was very helpful! Your soap looks wonderful too! Makes me want to run downstairs and make it!

Back