Favourite EO blends with patchouli

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorelle

Reaction score
Hi, I want to try a soap with patchouli because I like the smell and a friend has recently asked for one. She thought it would go well with musk but I only use essential oils so I was wondering what your favourite blends are? I read that labdanum has a musky smell but I've never used it.

Good for you for wanting to create your own blends! What oils do you have?

Everyone swoons over a soap I recently made with lime, patchouli and vetiver, plus a bit of ylang ylang for smoothness. Cheaper lavender or clary sage, instead of ylang, even peppermint would also be good, and take the blend in an herbal direction.

Here are some tips that work for me:

1) Swirl bottle caps under your nose for interesting combinations, then start adding drops 1 to 1 in vials or small bottles, and adjust from there.

2) Leave the blend open to air for a few days to allow the volatile aromas to fade, as they would in soap.

3) When you're happy with the final blend, pass it under many noses for opinions. I always bow to the majority in deciding whether a blend is soapworthy... unless it's a blend for a special person, or just for me. ;)

Jenny

Good for you for wanting to create your own blends! What oils do you have?

Everyone swoons over a soap I recently made with lime, patchouli and vetiver, plus a bit of ylang ylang for smoothness. Cheaper lavender or clary sage, instead of ylang, even peppermint would also be good, and take the blend in an herbal direction.

Here are some tips that work for me:

1) Swirl bottle caps under your nose for interesting combinations, then start adding drops 1 to 1 in vials or small bottles, and adjust from there.

2) Leave the blend open to air for a few days to allow the volatile aromas to fade, as they would in soap.

3) When you're happy with the final blend, pass it under many noses for opinions. I always bow to the majority in deciding whether a blend is soapworthy... unless it's a blend for a special person, or just for me. ;)

Jenny

:thumbup: You obviously know what you are doing. :wink:

Sure! It's a simple 3:2:1 ratio of lime, patch and vetiver, with a touch of ylang to soften.

You may prefer a different ratio for your EOs (probably somewhat different than mine), as well as a different flower to soften... and don't forget to let it air. Happy blending!

Sure! It's a simple 3:2:1 ratio of lime, patch and vetiver, with a touch of ylang to soften.

You may prefer a different ratio for your EOs (probably somewhat different than mine), as well as a different flower to soften... and don't forget to let it air. Happy blending!

@ sagehill, do you get your vetiver in bulk? Quality is good? I am a vetiver FREAK :shock::crazy::think::lol:

Vetiver is one of the few EOs I buy elsewhere since it's more expensive at AV-AT than other places, being steam-distilled from Haiti (better for AT and perfumery than soap). Even so, I tend to use it sparingly in the all-natural soaps and charge accordingly.

I do have a small amount of the Haiti stuff for my own personal sniffing and use.
icon_wink.gif

I've done one with lemongrass, blood orange and patch, and another one peppermint, sweet basil, patch. I'm about to do one peppermint, rosemary and patch.

I like using patch as the base note. I'd love to use vetivert, but it's SOOO expensive!

What doesn't go with patch? :) Patch, vetiver and vanilla is lovely (use peru balsam or vanilla absolute if you don't want to use a vanilla FO). Also sweet orange, patch, cinnamon and clove in a 8:4:1:1 ratio is a lovely blend for the holidays. You could substitute any citrus oil you like for the orange.

Thank you for all of the ideas!!! I have never heard of vetiver. I will have to look into this.

El Granado Loco, is cedar so different from cedarwood or is it the same thing? I have a lot of it with no ideas for it.

You know that sort of sweet smell that comes with goat's milk soap? I think patchouli by itself in goat's milk, maybe with a little vanilla would be great. I've also been thinking about the muskiness of patchouli with the crispness of eucalyptus. I just sniffed them side by side from the bottles...might make for an interesting combo.

Last edited:
I dislike patchouli but am in love with patch/lavender/clove blend. Very sensuous smell. Sells really well as a men's shave bar.

I was thinking id make some kind of patch/cedar and something... soon.

Back