Do certain shapes & sizes sell better or feel betterthan others?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
Sometimes the classic one inch slab doesn't feel like enough. However, a soap that is too thick and bulky doesn't fit in the hand. In your experience for sales and personal use, do certain shapes or sizes just seem feel better and sell better?

My soaps are just und 1 1/4" thick rectangular. I seems the perfect size for the majority of folk that purchase and use my soaps. Other than those I do make some salt bars in flower individual molds. I'm interested to hear others preferences.

that's somewhat of a trick question because the spectrum of soap size and shapes is vast [to a degree]. i will explain : you have the "bread" loaf type mold , and soaps with that whip cream style tops , you have cup cake soaps , you have the rectangle type mold, you have the individual soap mold , and still some sell a "country" style bar of soap that seems family type style which is like three times the size of the rectangle style soap, and they all sell. for me seeing that i use a washcloth i do not mind the style of soap so much {though i do not like the individual bar style soap mold too much} .... my soaps are 1 inch thick , i may cheat to 1 1/4... and have used a whole bar of Aleppo and found it thrilling :) . "different soap for different folks" :)

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46852&highlight=size

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=43133&highlight=size

You might find some additional info on bar size at least in these.

Because of hand feel, I prefer a rectangular bar versus one with fancy tops and I don't like massive soaps as they are too big to easily turn in the hand.

Exaxctly what I was thinking.

that's somewhat of a trick question because the spectrum of soap size and shapes is vast [to a degree]. i will explain : you have the "bread" loaf type mold , and soaps with that whip cream style tops , you have cup cake soaps , you have the rectangle type mold, you have the individual soap mold , and still some sell a "country" style bar of soap that seems family type style which is like three times the size of the rectangle style soap, and they all sell. for me seeing that i use a washcloth i do not mind the style of soap so much {though i do not like the individual bar style soap mold too much} .... my soaps are 1 inch thick , i may cheat to 1 1/4... and have used a whole bar of Aleppo and found it thrilling :) . "different soap for different folks" :)

LOLOLOOOOOOOOOLOLLL...

What were the dimensions of the thrilling experience? :lol:

If it's anything like mine, the dang thing is about 2 1/2 x 3 x 3. It is a CHUNK. I'm using mine but it drives me crazy that I can't spin it around in my hands to generate the lather I want. I'm stuck having to swipe it back and forth.

If it's anything like mine, the dang thing is about 2 1/2 x 3 x 3. It is a CHUNK. I'm using mine but it drives me crazy that I can't spin it around in my hands to generate the lather I want. I'm stuck having to swipe it back and forth.

That is what I was thinking. It's like your stuck with a sink soap? :eh:

I prefer a nice rectangle or even a oval shape, they fit my small hands better. 1 inch or a little thicker is ok, I cut my own soaps at 1 inch. I dislike soaps with fancy peaked tops or a bunch of chunky stuff sprinkled on top, they are beautiful to look at but a pain to use.
I'm also not fond of round bars because they don't sit on my shower shelves but they feel good in the hand. My least favorite shape though are the cubes or a big thick chunk, I can't manipulate them at all.

Exaxctly what I was thinking.

LOLOLOOOOOOOOOLOLLL...

What were the dimensions of the thrilling experience? :lol:

i actually went to my safe and pull out my last bar of Aleppo soap and measured it [ Yes! in a safe ...its already in the will that it goes with me when i die :)] and it measures 3 1/4 x 2 3/8 x 1 3/4 (L-W-H) almost like a mini brick in my hand { can you see my tears of joy just holding it? ;) }

I have bought one of the large fancy topped bars of soap. Within 2 showers, I took it to the kitchen to cut off a nice comfortable chunk to shower with. Even using a washcloth, the large ones are just not user friendly to me.

I make 1 inch bars that are 3-4 inches long(different molds), and 2-3 inches wide. So, pretty much standard rectangles. I make my shampoo bars in 1.5 oz oval molds so they fit in my palm well for washing my hair. They are also castor oil heavy, so they take forever to dry and not be sticky. Having them smaller helps hardening time quite a bit.

I cut most of mine pretty large because that's how the hubby prefers it. We use those fluffy bath herb things do I don't have a problem getting then to lather up. I do cut them in half when I want to use it directly on my legs or in my hair.

One of my commercial accounts wants her bars halved. She says it fits her hand better and thinks everyone will like that better. To each his/her own.

My soaps are just und 1 1/4" thick rectangular. I seems the perfect size for the majority of folk that purchase and use my soaps. Other than those I do make some salt bars in flower individual molds. I'm interested to hear others preferences.

I haven't had any bad feedback (or any feedback) on likes/dislikes of the size of bar I cut. I usually cut my bars at 1 1/4" thick.
I also have oval sized bars that are made in yogurt containers and cut 1" thick. These are usually my salt bars.

I haven't had any bad feedback (or any feedback) on likes/dislikes of the size of bar I cut. I usually cut my bars at 1 1/4" thick.
I also have oval sized bars that are made in yogurt containers and cut 1" thick. These are usually my salt bars.

I've been doing the 1 inch but I am thinking 1.25 inch is my new test bank. Thank you guys :thumbup:

I think that the answer has already been provided to us by Proctor & Gamble. Oval bar, pressed into a perfectly smooth shape, etc etc. Some have a slight concave curvature in the bottom and convex at the top.

In terms of what we can make ourselves, I'm pretty sure most customers have their own idea of desirable size. Women have smaller hands and would logically prefer a smaller bar. If we think about the feel of the soap in your hand, you want a bar that will fit in between your hands.

I think that the answer has already been provided to us by Proctor & Gamble. Oval bar, pressed into a perfectly smooth shape, etc etc. Some have a slight concave curvature in the bottom and convex at the top.

In terms of what we can make ourselves, I'm pretty sure most customers have their own idea of desirable size. Women have smaller hands and would logically prefer a smaller bar. If we think about the feel of the soap in your hand, you want a bar that will fit in between your hands.

I really appreciate your input.:thumbup:

My tester folks decided their favored size is a rectangle bar measuring about 3.5" long x 2.25" wide, cut to just a hair over 1" thick. They end up weighing about 4.5 to 5 ounces.

my testers really like the size of my bars (as do I). they're big enough to feel chunky, and thin enough to swirl around in an average hand. they're 3.25"x2.25"x1.25" (apparently I like .25" lol). freshly cut, my bars are around 5oz, cured to just over 4.5oz

ETA - I don't like bars too big. I get annoyed if I can't swish it around in my hand, or have to use both. that's why I'm not a huge fan of circular shapes, but some people really like them. maybe you can either make your soaps in various sizes and see which you like best?

Back