FDA Warning Letter to doTerra

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice to see the FDA enforcing the rules. I was invited to a Young Living class just last night and was kind of taken aback by all the claims and application advice (ie. NEAT).

I've been approached at a couple shows trying to get me to purchase their stuff for my soaps. I told them I could get better FO's for a much better price. They tried to give me their speech about therapeutic etc and I just told them to move on.

I had that experience last night. The girls mom wanted to try and tell me that the EOs that I buy are of a lesser quality than the YL oils. Out of respect for the girl and her home, I did not argue with her mom that there is no such thing as "theraputic grade" and the other marketing crap that YL preaches.

Personally I think this is typical FDA stupid behavior. Its quite simple that they dont want ppl to use EO's for medical purposes as it takes away money from the big pharmaceutical companies. They dont want ppl to be healthy, sick ppl make them more money.

And where you are right that there are no 'grades' in eo's, most companies do not sell pure eo's. most are diluted or even just a mixture of chemicals to make them smell like eo's. Iv spent a very long time and lots of money trying to find genuine eo's. In the UK I'v only found 4 sellers, and 2 of them are do terra and forever living. (no im not a rep lol)

Personally I think this is typical FDA stupid behavior. Its quite simple that they dont want ppl to use EO's for medical purposes as it takes away money from the big pharmaceutical companies. They dont want ppl to be healthy, sick ppl make them more money.
I'm sorry, but I find this anti-science rhetoric crazy making. Pretending that the EO makers under fire are altruistic, just trying to save the world, and aren't out to make money just like the big bad pharmaceutical companies a bit naive.

The idea that EO's work better than mainstream medicine, and that big pharma is keeping them down simply isn't true. If the EO's actually worked as well as conventional medicines in clinical trials, well, then they would simply become accepted as medicine, just as aspirin, yew tree, and lithium have become in the past. It's one thing to make claims, but it's really not that difficult to show scientific proof.

I'm sorry, my mother was a wholistic health educator, and then as a cancer patient she went down that rabbit hole, and I learned how predatory the natural healing community can be.

Good on the FDA for enforcing the rules. Honestly, how long did the companies think they could get away with making dangerous, unsubstantiated claims?

Ebola? Cancer? Dementia? Heart Disease? Parkinson's?

If you claim that your product is medicine, be prepared to have it treated as such.

I would have to disagree with you there holistichonnies. I'm also from the UK and I'm aware of plenty reputable producers of pure EOs. Admittedly the suppliers I buy from aren't available to the general public (only to herbal practitioners or equivalent) but these are real, good quality oils produced by reputable herbal manufacturers. I am not familiar with young living and doterra oils personally but over the years I have read some pretty dubious stuff about the way they use the oils i.e. advising doses much higher than any qualified aromatherapist would. I think its about time there practices were looked at more closely.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I base my findings on personal experience.

Since I stopped using over counter drugs I hardly ever get unwell. If I do, I use my eo's and they work fine.

My 2 youngest children have NEVER been given any drugs and I can honestly say they have never been ill, not even a cold.

But its each to their own. I know i would never trust the FDA.

I think its about time there practices were looked at more closely.

I highly agree - if the eo trade was monitored more closely and had 'standards' to meet then it would hopefully weedly out all those fake companies.

Iv lost some much money from companies selling fake or diluted oils :(

And where you are right that there are no 'grades' in eo's, most companies do not sell pure eo's. most are diluted or even just a mixture of chemicals to make them smell like eo's. Iv spent a very long time and lots of money trying to find genuine eo's. In the UK I'v only found 4 sellers, and 2 of them are do terra and forever living. (no im not a rep lol)

The bottom line is that if they do business in the USA, then they are agreeing to follow the law and regulations of the USA. They are not. They have been caught. It is no different than someone breaking the law in any other manner.

And as far as the whole anti-FDA, anti-big pharmaceutical rant goes, you and I are enjoying much longer lives than our ancestors did that only used EOs and other "natural" remedies. Thanks MOSTLY to big pharmaceutical companies. Many of whom are located in the USA, and therefore regulated by the FDA. So, I will take my FDA and our big pharmaceutical companies' word about what a medication actually does because I KNOW the hoops that each drug has to go through to be approved. And I KNOW that they are not allowed to make claims that they can't prove.

I understand the laws but in reality the FDA are not all they are cracked up to be. Trust me Iv done so much of my own research on this over the years and my own finding have be quite shocking.

Think about all the things the FDA has approved and then had to stop producing/selling due to finding them unsafe during use.

The most recent being the HPV vaccination they started giving to teenage girls.

I think these eo companies have been very stupid in how they market their products as they do not adhere to USA law .... thats their stupidity.

Also we may be living longer but we are living much more sickly lives. I believe we are living longer due to better living conditions not drugs.

I've been approached at a couple shows trying to get me to purchase their stuff for my soaps. I told them I could get better FO's for a much better price. They tried to give me their speech about therapeutic etc and I just told them to move on.

DT/YL: Their prices are absurd and ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. 10ml/$30??? WTH??? The buzzwords: 'wellness', pure, healing properties, etc. Some of the claims are very sad. Lots of people can't afford certain health practices so they spend what little they have on something that is supposed to help for less. Fad claims kinda hurt my heart when I see it. I know others put their hope in things that may help. I had a pretty bad stomach illness for years and used to look into this stuff. Did you know that some EOs are used for cooking?? (Like a drop or two in a soup etc)

Before I use EOs or plant material in a soap -topical/rinse off use- I try to at least study the compositions chemically and even medical journal research before giving one away/even maybe sell.

There are things that work out there sans hype. Someone mentioned a yew tree in this post; years ago taxol being the hopeful primary compound for cancer treatment. I haven't read about this in years so I don't know the status or any research updates. But one thing that is an example of natural success is Hibiscus Sabdariffa. Most latino or middle eastern markets will have the rock hard dried core of these flowers sold in bulk. The results in the following studies are worded carefully - very useful but not used to treat, has a great effect but not used for treatment, can lower blood pressure but notused for bp treatment, and other benefits concerning blood vessels etc.

Examples from two studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22678012
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0030310/

Last edited:
DT/YL:

Did you know that some EOs are used for cooking?? (Like a drop or two in a soup etc)

I use EO's in cooking :) Lemon is my fav, I have a drop in my Tea most morning. I used lavender recently after I had a tooth removed and it didnt heal as the dentist left part of my tooth in my gum :x ... the lavender taste is horrid tho lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that EO's work better than mainstream medicine, and that big pharma is keeping them down simply isn't true. If the EO's actually worked as well as conventional medicines in clinical trials, well, then they would simply become accepted as medicine, just as aspirin, yew tree, and lithium have become in the past. It's one thing to make claims, but it's really not that difficult to show scientific proof.

I dislike doTerra about as much as i dislike the fda, but this isnt really true. If a substance can not be patented, it will never become a drug and will continue to be supressed -and to show scientific proof acceptable to the fda is very difficult.

P.S. Over the years, perscriotion drugs/painkillers began to destroy my liver. My liver is extremely bad right now. I cannot take medication and have to go the herbal route (dandelion root, leaf, milk thistle, flush, etc.). But luckily, I read, that the liver is the only one organ that can regenerate itself. :thumbup: It will take time tho.

You are entitled to your opinion. I too have faced in two close cases who chose to go the holistic way and in turn spend a boatload of money and passed away much quicker than with just minimal healthcare. I find it liable to those who prey on others weaknesses. I think one of the reasons the FDA jumped on them is because they were making claims that their stuff would cure or prevent ebola. I believe in holistic practices to a point. Primarily spiritual. I also feel that if a person chooses to take risks that if fine but don't push it onto others. YL and doTerra were predatory in their sales pitches. I believe we are living longer due to healthcare being available and taking better care of ourselves. I don't see EO's curing cancer or diabetes or other terminal illnesses. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies are raping people on the cost of the medications and healthcare cost. I've spent the last 36 year in the medical field. I too am happy to see the FDA get on these companies and their representatives.

You are entitled to your opinion. I too have faced in two close cases who chose to go the holistic way and in turn spend a boatload of money and passed away much quicker than with just minimal healthcare. I find it liable to those who prey on others weaknesses. I think one of the reasons the FDA jumped on them is because they were making claims that their stuff would cure or prevent ebola. I believe in holistic practices to a point. Primarily spiritual. I also feel that if a person chooses to take risks that if fine but don't push it onto others. YL and doTerra were predatory in their sales pitches. I believe we are living longer due to healthcare being available and taking better care of ourselves. I don't see EO's curing cancer or diabetes or other terminal illnesses. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies are raping people on the cost of the medications and healthcare cost. I've spent the last 36 year in the medical field. I too am happy to see the FDA get on these companies and their representatives.

The ebola claim was crazy.... Ebola cannot live in cinnamon and oregano oil. <paraphrase>

I also feel that if a person chooses to take risks that if fine but don't push it onto others. YL and doTerra were predatory in their sales pitches.

is this not what pharmaceutical companies do tho? Pushing their drugs onto ppl, they are also predatory. Scaring people into thinking they NEED to take this drug or that drug. People are too quick to reach of a bottle of pills these days. They get a headache and instantly start popping pills to get rid of it, when in reality most normal everyday headaches can be cured by a glass of water.

I too have faced in two close cases who chose to go the holistic way and in turn spend a boatload of money and passed away much quicker than with just minimal healthcare.
I have an extensive medical background as well and I have found that when a body passes along can not be determined with any concrete reproducibility much in advance -regardless of their choice in methods of care. People can get hit by busses, people can drop dead from tylenol and prescription medications, seemingly healthy people can suddenly expire for seemingly unknown reasons...

I find it liable to those who prey on others weaknesses. I think one of the reasons the FDA jumped on them is because they were making claims that their stuff would cure or prevent ebola.
I think so too, I only hope that this is not going to be the springboard needed to regulate all eo's.

YL and doTerra were predatory in their sales pitches. .
Absolutely and exactly why they needed this letter, imo.

Back