Measurement

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticsprint

Reaction score
I have started making scrubs and was told Vitamin E isn't a real preservative, use Optiphen (Plus). My problem is I'm not sure of the measurement. If my recipe calls for 10-12 cups of sugar, how much Optiphen should I use (measure in terms of tablespoons or teaspoons)

I use optiphen. from soap queen..Optiphen Plus*- Optiphen Plus is a*water-soluble, paraben- and formaldehyde-free preservative. You can use Optiphen Plus in any recipe your are using water in and it helps to protect against bacteria, mold growth and even yeast!*Usage rate:*.75-1.5% of the total weight of the recipe and*must be used at temperatures lower than 176 degrees.

So measure the total wt of the recipe and multiply it by 1%.

It isn't necessary unless water is involved. The link
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/talk-it-out-tuesday-preservatives/

My scrubs contain no water, so no preservative necessary or should I include it as a precaution?

Swift recommends using the preservative besed on recipe before sugar. I use optiphen not the plus version for my scrubs. I think it is a good idea to add a preservative if there is a chance water could get into the scrub in the shower. For tons of info go to www.swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com

If it will come into contact with water via shower, wet hands in tub, precautions are for preservatives. That said, if water isn't involved, preservatives as a general rule aren't necessary. For selling purposes, I'd recommend erring the side of caution. Wouldn't want a buyer ending up with green fuzz after two weeks. I like to follow soap queens recommendations.

I too use optiphen in my scrubs. It will come in contact with water and I don't want my stuff to get creepy crawlies or worse in them. I preserve my whipped butters too. I would rather err on the safe side. You don't know what your customers will do with your product.

Back