Castile project - pomace or EVO and Castor for SF?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I'd like to make an authentic castile and would really like it to be "authentic" but I would also like the lather from some castor oil and if I'm SF'ing (or lye discount by 5%), then is the 5% castor actually making it not fully castile soap?

here is a print out of the 4 different recipes with EVO, OO Pomace, and each with castor. Sorry it is a little "faded" my screen froze and I had to take a screen shot before the program crashed.

The main difference is that when adding Castor, the creamy goes up by 5 and the bubbly goes up by 5 (from 0) and the hardenss drops by one.

I want to make one large recipe and put it away to age to see if it gets hard. Anyone have any experience or suggestions here?

castilesoaps.png

As Bodhi says, adding Castor would make it a Bastile soap, not a Castile - no matter what Dr Bonner tries to tell you, if there is any other oil than Olive Oil, it is NOT a Castile.

I made mine with a 5% lye discount, plain water, only OO (of course!) and no colours or fragrance. After a decent cure - some people consider 1 year to be the MINIMUM cure time for a Castile - the lather is both creamy and bubbly.

I made a bastile once with 5% castor and honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in lather. If you want true castile, stick with pomace and give a good cure. You can add a bit of sugar to help with bubbles.

What I have found strange is that I can't find light or plain OO that is less expensive than EVOO.

Have you looked for pomice OO? I can find it locally for around $16 for a gallon and I live in a very small town. Any large grocery store should carry it. You can use EVOO but your bars will be a strange yellowy green

I made a bastile once with 5% castor and honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in lather. If you want true castile, stick with pomace and give a good cure. You can add a bit of sugar to help with bubbles.

Obsidian, I am about to make first true castile soap with EVOO. i have made many other soaps at this point,but not a true castile. I figured I'd plug my question here verses start another thread. Is it beneficial to add sugar, salt and how much. And would using the 1% citric acid affect the soap in a negative way concidering the lather is supposed to be pretty low? Thanks :)

I wouldn't add salt, castile gets plenty hard on its own. If you are worried about it taking awhile to unmold, use a water discount. I really don't know if sugar will help that much but it doesn't hurt to try. I would use 1-2 tsp ppo.
Why do you want to use citric acid? I use it to reduce soap scum but have never tried it in castile so I can't help there. EVOO will make a really icky chartreuse colored soap, I have some curing now and they are awful looking. The bars made with pomace and a nice creamy white.

Latest posts

Back