Best type of tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use tallow. From a cow. Preferably a dead one.

Sorry for the silly response, but what options are you faced with and what sorts of things are you looking for from your tallow? If you about beef or bear or deer tallow, which one do you like most in a soap? I said previously to use beef tallow because it is more than likely easier to get hold of for most people rather than the other types.

I render my own. Clean it 4 times and it's white, clean, and almost scent free. I would check out soaperschoice.com. honestly it's a lot of work to render properly and it reduces a lot...they have 11$+ for 7lbs. Wow. That's pretty good at 1.65 pp fat. It is satisfying, however, getting it and going through the process yourself. And yes, I'd do beef above others, but that's just me

Bear tallow make incredible soap if you can get your hands on it, so does deer tallow. Otherwise I use beef tallow made from the fat that comes from around the kidneys.

Last edited:
Beer tallow make incredible soap if you can get your hands on it, so does deer tallow. Otherwise I use beef tallow made from the fat that comes from around the kidneys.

Now I want beer tallow to exist.
I use beef tallow pre-rendered by butchers and it's white and lovely, makes a fine, white, smooth, hard, opaque bar. But I got my hands on some of that leaf lard from around the kidney and the lather is WOW! Gorgeous bubbles everywhere and it feels like satin. I may have to cheat on tallow with leaf lard.
Play around with fats, is my advice, and see which ones work best for you and are most cost efficient.

Hey, its early and I didn't spell check lol. I rendered some leaf fat yesterday, can't wait to soap with it. I normally use lard in my soap but wanted tallow for a shave soap.

Back