My table setup...any advice before I do bigger shows?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadelilly

Reaction score
Hi! Here's a pic of my table setup that I did this weekend at a small show. I have some bigger events coming up and wanted to see if any of you had any suggestions on how to make this better before then. Couple things that I'm working on for it...a tablecloth with my company name and logo on it, and a raffle jar to help me collect info to follow up and add to mailing list (with permission on the form of course)
Thank you in advance for your input!
10407761_295149624018904_4573090317723327893_n.jpg

As a consumer and not a seller, my first thought was that the butter samples on the left look a bit too chaotic. I'm thinking of a cluster of people wanting to try some and having to cross their arms over and under to reach one they want to try. Also, the lids look like they might get in the way, although I can totally see what you are going for. Maybe decrease the number of them or, if you have a bit more space for the bigger show, have them spaced out so they are more accessible. Are those lip balms in the front and center? Are they samples? I also like the muted neutral color scheme, but I think for a bigger show, if you can add a nice color splash that makes sense for your set-up, it will draw eyes and therefore more customers to your table. Maybe a vase of with well done arrangement of orange and red, if you can put it someplace that won't get in the way. Just my first thoughts.

I think it looks very classy and professional. Looks like any retailer could own that table.

also a consumer, not seller... i really like how simple the display is, and the colours are great. very pleasing to the eye.

I agree with newbie, the samples should correspond to the product that its welling. e.g. the lavender body butter sample should be in front of the pile of lavender body butter containers for easy access. this is just me, but if I need to look around, I will sometimes get overwhelmed and end up not buying anything. and also a splash of colour to draw the eye.

also, bigger banner. maybe have one made for the back of the booth or front of table so people can easily see who you are.

On the whole your booth looks very nice and neat. But you really should remove the sticks from the butter /lotion samples and put sample sticks in a container with a small container for trash. Add a sign asking to please use a new sample stick for each sample. I would not use a stick that is sitting in a container not knowing how many people have used the stick. If you could spread out the samples on a nice tray, get rid of the lids it is easier for them to sample and looks neater. Try just stacking a few jars and keeping the bulk of your stock in the back in a case. If I see someone stick a finger in one of my sample containers it gets replaced with a fresh sample. Most of my samples are in deli cups so I can toss them and bring out a fresh sample. I also keep all lip balm samples behind my table and have the customer hand me a fresh stick if they want a sample of lip balm. Very surprising what people will do. I have actually seen people pick up a lip balm sample, at other booths, put it on their lips and place it back on the table. Yuck. At a busy holiday show a raffle jar can be more trouble than it is worth unless you can dedicate an area away from your main product table. People will cluster around filling out the ticket or whatever you use blocking customers from trying your products. I put a small notebook out with an email signup sheet on a small table away from my main tables during my larger holiday craft shows. One last thought, do take enough product to pay your space and make you some money. I have seen that mistake so many times over the years. I usually have a min of 6 tables sometimes 8 in my 10x10 booth with covered elevation boards. LOL, lots of real estate is good

Beautiful packaging and I love your "simple pure honest" motto! I agree with previous comments, a splash of coral (or the aqua in the boxes you're using a lifts) maybe as a table runner and flowers. Or get some color in the banner you're working on. The black and white is very clean looking and I love it but you need that color to draw attention. I also agree the sample butters would be nicer on a tray. I use small glass jars for my tester sticks one says clean the other says used and I use skinny wooden craft sticks that are much thinner than regular Popsicle sticks, they are the perfect size for my butter testers cause "a little goes a long way" and it can be awkward when people glob on the body butter and then can't figure out what to do cause they got way too much. Haha
I like the cabinet on the right side of the table, but the product doesn't seem very accessible or visible.

You could also add color by painting the frames you're already using.

I agree with everyone else's suggestions. I also saw empty space on the table - you can't sell empty space, fill it with product. Imagine if you were paying by the square foot for your space on the table - that would be wasted.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I'm working on implementing them. I'll post an updated pic when I can. Much appreciated!

Beautiful packaging and I love your "simple pure honest" motto! I agree with previous comments, a splash of coral (or the aqua in the boxes you're using a lifts) maybe as a table runner and flowers. Or get some color in the banner you're working on. The black and white is very clean looking and I love it but you need that color to draw attention. I also agree the sample butters would be nicer on a tray. I use small glass jars for my tester sticks one says clean the other says used and I use skinny wooden craft sticks that are much thinner than regular Popsicle sticks, they are the perfect size for my butter testers cause "a little goes a long way" and it can be awkward when people glob on the body butter and then can't figure out what to do cause they got way too much. Haha
I like the cabinet on the right side of the table, but the product doesn't seem very accessible or visible.

You could also add color by painting the frames you're already using.
I like using these small birchwood sticks
http://tinyurl.com/lthuu7k

That's a neat idea! Does any one know where I can purchase something to put a sample of my scubs in ? I do have show coming up at the end of the month. It will be my first set up. I was also thinking about bringing a bowl and a spray bottle with water so that people can sample the scrub and the can use the spray bottle and paper towel to was the product off their hand.

I used to demo my scrubs with a pitcher and bowl (old fashioned type). I brought hot water in a large orange drink dispenser with the push button spout at the bottom (usually used to keep drinks cold). I kept this under the table and filled the pitcher as needed. We did full service...have the customer pick their fragrance then we would spoon it onto their hands for them and as they scrubbed we would tell them about the product then pour water from the pitcher (over their hands into the basin) to rinse it off. Cute basket with the folded type paper towels. Worked like a charm and people loved that the water was warm too. This method can be difficult if you are the only one working, I usually had one of my daughters there to help. If you can get people to try it they almost always buy (assuming you have a good product)

Carolyn, how big are your tables? I'm trying to picture how you have all those tables laid out in your 10x10 space. Do you have a pic of that? I'm dying to see your setup now.

Carolyn, how big are your tables? I'm trying to picture how you have all those tables laid out in your 10x10 space. Do you have a pic of that? I'm dying to see your setup now.
I sent you a pm. One thing I have done in the past is take my two front tables and leave a walkway so I can set up to stacked tables in the back and 1 on the side. Trouble with that is here a lot of Asian folks will not enter your booth, so I try to keep all tables in the front. I only leave the opening and put tables in the back when I get stuck with a space where I cannot fudge and have to be completely in my booth. You can actually get 6-8 tables in a 10x10 booth with elevated tables

That's a neat idea! Does any one know where I can purchase something to put a sample of my scubs in ? I do have show coming up at the end of the month. It will be my first set up. I was also thinking about bringing a bowl and a spray bottle with water so that people can sample the scrub and the can use the spray bottle and paper towel to was the product off their hand.
A packet of wet wipes are much easier to use and work fine for wiping off scrubs

The packaging looks great. I think it looks a little cluttered but certainly not the worst I've seen. I no longer keep that much product on my tables, given how often they have been swiped from right under my nose. I have a lot of different products and, to prevent the aforementioned clutter and thievery, I keep a single sample of each product on the table evenly spaced from the others. I keep the rest of the product in bins beneath the table so when I make a sale I just reach down, pull one out and bag it.

Back