Labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottief

Reaction score
Quick question on Labels. I have been buying other companies soaps to try them out and see how they are. I am from Canada and according to the regulations you need the INCA names on the soaps. This one soap I have bought only has olive oil,castor oil and such, no INCA names labeled. I'm new to soap making and want to do it right. How can this lady who has a very big company be doing this and not get in trouble?

Im not sure the rules in Canada, but in the US, if it is "true soap" then it technically doesn't have to have ingredients listed. I don't sell and honestly don't know much on this subject, but I wanted to comment, so hopefully someone will see this and be able to give you a thorough answer.

I don't know about Canada, but when it comes to the U.S. most soaps are marketed with some sort of cosmetic claim (moisturizing, deodorizing, etc) so even if it does meet the FDA's standard for "true soap" the claims and possibly certain ingredients, even without the claims, will cause the soap to fall under the category of "true soap" AND cosmetic which means the crafter would have to comply with regulations for both categories. Or not, and risk getting a "love" letter from the FDA with a warning.

U.S. FDA Regulations

I did a search online and found this info on Canadian Soap Labeling.

Back