trying to control my addiction :/

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
I am trying so hard to control my new soap making addiction but it is so very hard.

I just have so many ideas running around in my head and I want to make them all now .... but I must hold back or my house will be over run with soap which I wont be able to use in a life time :lol:

I already have about 30 bars of soap now (I dont actually use soap myself) so god knows what I'll do with them all hahahaha. I will be giving some to friends and family but if I carry on making soap at the rate my addiction is making me I'll have to find more friends :lol::lol:

Most of us have that problem, even those who have been making soap for many years. It's probably why so many decide to sell soap. :)

When I learned to soap, I made very small batches of 10-12 oz of oils, 3-4 bars... big enough to see how the idea worked. If it did, I made larger batches; if it didn't, less oil, FOs and colorants were wasted and fewer bars to get rid of. lol

Fortunately for you (and us!), Christmas is coming up. I like to hand out extras to neighbors, the mailman, my vet, hairdresser, etc.

Jenny
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I completely feel your pain. I have hundreds of bars up for sale and it's not enough. Everything I sell purchases new products to restock and try new things. I have literally hundreds of new things I want to try and hope that by selling I can, in time. It's a ridiculously addictive passion. The way I have "controlled it" is by only purchasing new soap things from money earned selling. I have cheated a few times, but It does keep me in check very well.

It is an expensive addiction but a beautiful one, put your brain to awake to a lot of creativity. You will see that from now on, everything is going to flow around soap, you will wanted to have ALL the molds, the boxes, the tools, the cutters etc. etc. the list is very long. You will use everything thinking in soap and how you can make a new one, a new idea, new color, new additive... and the list can go on and on and on.

From one addict to another....Welcome to this beautiful addiction!

P.D. If you don't use soap, how you became a soap maker?

Haha u spend hours looking at new soap stuff, moulds, cutters, new ingredients. I even find myself looking at inanimate household objects thinking ooo that may make a nice soap mould haha

I got into soap as I make all sorts of natural cosmetics and someone asked me if I made soaps ... I did lots and lots of research but took me a while to take the plunge as I was a bit scared to give it a try ... Now that I have I can't stop

I don't want to start selling my soaps yet as I'm so new and have a lot still to learn ... So I'm such with loads of pretty cute soaps ha

It's all fun tho so I don't really care

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

I got into soaping sideways, too!

I studied aromatherapy before the turn of the century (lol), making lotions and facial creams for my EO blends; then learned to make EO soaps to match facial creams. Finally, I lost my snobby EO purity after sniffing delicious FOs impossible to make with EOs, but never lost my love of blending!

Been making soap since... even lotion-making dropped by the wayside long ago. ;)

Jenny
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Sounds exactly like me! Eo's filled my house 1st, the the lotions and positions now soap

Can u ask how much eo's you used in your soaps? I'm kind of reluctant to use my precious eo's in my soaps at the mo

Hey Holistic! How much I use depends on the EO, but usually around 2%, unless an EO is weak-scented like citrus. To save money, I buy quality EOs in bulk from trusted AT vendors, a substantial savings over "aromatherapy" prices (usually very expensive when purchased in AT's tiny amounts).

Which vendor do you buy from over there? You might ask if you can buy in bulk. Also, while EOs remain my first love, I'm not afraid to blend with related FOs to extend expensive EOs like patchouli, frankincense, etc. After all, soap is a wash-off product.

Best to save the more expensive EOs for facial oils (which I now prefer over lotions and creams) and for roll-on perfumes.

hey holistic, what I find amusing to soapmakig addiction is comng here to SMF. We see awesome recipes and designs that inspire us to make more soaps. We hear of new items that make our craft better. We hear of new techniques that we try to have to make more soaps. We hear of new bulk discounts and hmmmmmmmm...... 8)

I buy my eo's from a company who do sell in bulk actually so I may invest in a few bulk oils of my fav scents.

Iv just bought MORE moulds hahaha

So this week alone iv bought, 8 different sets of moulds hahaha

Oh and iv bought more mica colours ... (Slightly embarrassed) haha

hey holistic, what I find amusing to soapmakig addiction is comng here to SMF. We see awesome recipes and designs that inspire us to make more soaps. We hear of new items that make our craft better. We hear of new techniques that we try to have to make more soaps. We hear of new bulk discounts and hmmmmmmmm...... 8)

LoL, great point! If you want to control this addiction don't come to this site. :lol:

I buy my eo's from a company who do sell in bulk actually so I may invest in a few bulk oils of my fav scents.

Hi, do you mind to share the name of the company? normally the E.O. and some F.O. are very expensive.

Thank you

I buy my eo's from naturally thinking here in uk! They are the best oils I have found (iv tried so many sellers)

LOL

Everything we see has the possibility of becoming a mold, or an ingredient.

I caught myself today in the grocery store...everything I looked at..I thought of 'how can I use this in soap'?

Im so bad till my 86 yr old mother now even looks at the bottoms of plastic bottles for interesting shapes for molds..an she don't even make soap. ~rotfl

Latest posts

Back