Hard water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutumnLily

Reaction score
hi guys,

being in an area with hard water i find my soaps drag on the skin leaving it feel slightly tacky until dry, some more than others. are there any specific oils that make for a more slippery soap?

i am aiming to create a range of shampoo bars so i superfat at 8% soaping at cool temps

Jamie-Lee x

You might try adding Tetrasodium EDTA to your recipe. It is often used in commercial products as to bind metal ions and make them inactive.

I may be crazy, but I think my love of salt bars is because of my hard water. I *think* its because of all the coconut oil - which lathers well and doesn't seem draggy to me. So try a salt bar or one of those high coconut/ high SF recipes.

It's not the lather that's the issue it's that sticky feeling on the skin but coconut oil on its own can be drying on hair from what I've read will have to keep trying. I'm running out of people to give my soaps to lol

If you want more slip, I find olive oil and almond oil give it. I try to control the amounts I use since I don't like my soap too slippery, but I don't want them to drag on the skin either.

Lol yes I am trying for shampoo, they are hard to find in my area for a good price and lasting. The idea of putting Salt on my hair kinda scares me, it just seems drying. The almond oil makes sense tho, I added some to my recipe and it was much nicer but still dragging a Lil, I may have to just put up with it. Will look into salt bars tho for a body soap!

Salt Bar with Sunflower (regular) is high in Linoleic, which I find to be very slippery

Coconut Oil 85%
Sunflower 15%
SF 20%
30% Weight of oils as fine table Salt

It's not the lather that's the issue it's that sticky feeling on the skin but coconut oil on its own can be drying on hair from what I've read will have to keep trying. I'm running out of people to give my soaps to lol

Try it. I use an 80% coconut oil soap on my hair, and finish with an apple cider vinegar rinse, and my hair hasn't been this healthy in a long long time.

Back