Another DOS question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
So far I have not experienced DOS. But I also do not have any soap older than 6 months.

My questions:

Does the hardness of the bar have anything to do with the DOS development? Is a hard bar more likely to stay DOS free vs a soft bar?

Would using Palm Kernel Oil Flakes and Stearic Acid to make harder bars be of any value against DOS?

In my opinion, no, you cannot prevent DOS just by making a physically harder bar of soap.

It is true that soap made with high amounts of polyunsaturated fats tends to be prone to DOS and tends to be physically softer. That said, if I hardened up this hypothetical soap recipe by adding some stearic acid, tallow, coconut oil, etc., I'd end up with a harder soap that is still too high in unsaturated fatty acids and still too prone to DOS.

There are so many factors that affect whether a soap develops DOS. It does not seem productive to me to focus on physical hardness as a preventative. For example, I made a coconut oil soap -- a very hard recipe -- and it developed a stinky all-over case of DOS. Why? The soap had a high superfat and the lavender essential oil I added for scent was old and oxidized.

Last edited:
Agreed. I have had rock hard bars that Dos'd and almost too soft bars that didnt. It all depends on the formula, the weather, the additives, the alignment of the stars...

Latest posts

Back