hemp infused soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
OK, I've seen soaps, lotions, and body butters that say that they are not only made with hemp oil, but that they are actually hemp infused- some of the listings even brag about using high THC marijuana for the infusion, which I guess has more beneficial properties. So here's my question... In the United States, in a state that does not have legalized recreational use of marijuana, I assume the end product is still legal? But how do you make something like that legally, or if not quite legally, then at least how would you minimize your risk? I mean if you are selling various marijuana infused bath and body products, then presumably you are likely to be buying the marijuana in large enough quantities that if you got caught it would be considered posesssion with intent to distribute, right? I doubt I'm going to start making it myself anytime soon, but I'm quite curious. I've been pondering it, and was wondering if immediatly after purchase, but before you took posession if you could douse the whole purchase with olive oil or something that would make it more or less unfit for anything other than the intended use... Anybody have any idea how this is handled? (please pardon my random curiosity!)

If you are making CP soap or lotion or whatever with THC in it I would not sell it in a state where marijuana is illegal. THC infused anything is illegal in states where marijuana is illegal. And federally it is illegal in the states that have legalized marijuana.

Huh! That's really interesting, because I'm seeing these listings on Etsy. I'll have to take a peek and see what state they are selling from.

Hemp oil soap is very common and has no thc. Hemp and hemp products are legal to have, just not legal to grow. THC however is illegal to own.

*It's all silly imo and the law should be reversed. We should be able to grow an herb for personal, medicinal use or for the fibers in every single state in the USA.

Earthen Step is very correct. No matter what, it is illegal even in legal states. I am in a state that legalized it and almost all clinics were shut down by the feds. The soaps that are infused are made into a butter then it is used in the soap. Shake is used for making the butter that you would use to make the soap, not top shelf stuff. I would not sell it in a legal state. A friend of mine spent 2 yrs in federal jail becuase he was a partner is a "legal clinic". Not legal when the feds visit. There is also no benefit to the the soap, being a washoff product

OK, I've seen soaps, lotions, and body butters that say that they are not only made with hemp oil, but that they are actually hemp infused- some of the listings even brag about using high THC marijuana for the infusion, which I guess has more beneficial properties. So here's my question... In the United States, in a state that does not have legalized recreational use of marijuana, I assume the end product is still legal? make it more or less unfit for anything other than the intended use... Anybody have any idea how this is handled? (please pardon my random curiosity!)

Yup, what earthen-step said. Hemp is legal, marijuanna is legal in some places or sometimes. This is because ***hemp and marijuanna are two different plants.*** same family, but different. If someone is bragging about high thc pot for infusions they are either flat out lying, using spent dregs from a legal grow operation, begging to be busted or living in Colorado. :silent:

Pardon me- I was using the terms hemp, marijuana and thc almost interchangably, and I do know better. I know that you can get hemp oil easily and legally. That is not what these were- or at least not the entirety of what they were claiming. I had seen 3, maybe more shops selling bath and body products where they claimed that their oils had been infused with marijuana, and in one or two cases, that it was high thc marijuana (as that had more of the incredibly unlikely medicianal qualities that allowed their bath and body products to do all the miraculous things they stated in the medical claims that they made for these products). I did not think at the time to take note of what state they were selling from. When I saw these shops what got my attention was that they all had AMAZING sales, and one or two of the shops had only been open for a few months- with hundreds and hundreds of sales. Now what's interesting to me, is that I got curious and looked again this evening to see what state they were in, and I can't find a single one of these shops. So clearly you all are right. Etsy must have shut them all down, which is kind of unlike them. (seems to me that they have a nasty habit of turning a blind eye to shops that break the terms of use- especially when those shops are busy making a tidy proffit for Etsy...).

I just looked at eay to see if maybe they jumped over there and didn't see anything there either. Too bad as i was curious to read all their claims. Maybe etsy got a nice little call from the feds, lol. If you see it again, post a link? Im quite curious now.

If you want to stay legal, I recommend Wicked Ganja FO from Soapalooza. It is skin safe and smells pretty realistic to me OOB and in CP soap. I'm guessing it would still have label appeal with the scent solid behind it.

Back