colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgawlik

Reaction score
I want pretty colors that stay true. Would love liquid that I don't have to mix that will mess with my recipes, I find it difficult to "adjust" my oils. Recommendations please.

Not impressed with micas from wsp.
Bored with the few "natural" colorants I have.
Annato, rose clay, sea clay, paprika,

I do have TD, yellow oxide, black oxide, and activated charcoal.. from BB but I need some vibrance in my life. So help me out and tell me what you think is best

Hello! I use Celestial Colors pigments for my cp soap. These liquid pigments (for me) stay true since they are made for cp soapmaking. They are easy to add to your soap batter (1/4 teaspoon per pound of soaping oils.) Here is the website link: www.celestialcolors.com . You can also mix colors to form new shades.

Checkout my website below in my signature for an idea of what the colors look like in my soaps. I hope this helps you in some way! :smile:

All my colorants are powders (I like it that way, I feel it gives me more control)

For a bright yellow (that you can mellow by mixing with some TD), I really love Brambleberry's Fizzy Lemonade pigment.

For bright Pink, Brambleberry's Fired-up Fuschia is awesome. So is their Bubblegum Pink.

For a deep Purple/Blue I like Brambleberry's Ultraviolet Blue

For a beautiful orange that stays true, I like the Orange Vibrance from Nurture Soap Supplies.

For my red, I use a mixture of Colorana Bordeaux mica and Tomato Red liquid colorant from TKB (my only liquid colorant of the bunch).

For different shades of green, these 2 are staples in my soaping cupboard- UM green and Chromium Hydroxide Green.

Other 'staples' for me are:

-UM blue for all different kinds of shades of blue;
-UM Violet for all different kinds of shades of lavender and purple;
-Titanium dioxide for white of course, and for mixing with other colors;
-Activated charcoal for black or grey or for deepening other colors;
-Pearlized mica, gold mica and bronze mica to lend some pizzaz to certain swirls.

By the way- Moody Glenn- those soap colors look awesome!

IrishLass :)

All my colorants are powders (I like it that way, I feel it gives me more control).....

By the way- Moody Glenn- those soap colors look awesome!

IrishLass :)
Thank you IrishLass!!! I deeply appreciate your opinion - but more importantly - for your vast knowledge concerning soapmaking. I am constantly learning from you. :thumbup:

I'm all for powders. It takes very little oil to suspend them so it doesn't need to mess with your recipes. Many suspend readily in water, which eliminates your concerns about oils. YOu have to look for soap stable micas but there are plenty out there and of course there are more once you start blending on your own. TKB is one source (but I believe they removed their soap stable list- you would have to look in reviews) and The Conservancie has many as well.

Hello! I use Celestial Colors pigments for my cp soap. These liquid pigments (for me) stay true since they are made for cp soapmaking. They are easy to add to your soap batter (1/4 teaspoon per pound of soaping oils.) Here is the website link: www.celestialcolors.com . You can also mix colors to form new shades.

Checkout my website below in my signature for an idea of what the colors look like in my soaps. I hope this helps you in some way! :smile:
where do you get the, Cocamide DEA (diethanolamine), in your bubble bath powders?

Back