Goats Milk Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaccart789

Reaction score
Hey all...

I have made lotion in the past. I have had great success; however my attempt at goats milk...not so good. It started to do this clumping thing and smelled sour, obviously something went wrong. I am a tad put off trying to make it the old fashioned way, because I am afraid of it having bacteria.

I was wondering about Goat's milk powder. Could you use it in a lotion? How would you use it? Can this be done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have it, and I would put it in water phase, and just cook with others goodies, I had not tried it, hopefully someone will chime in, I will follow the thread:)

I am making a batch with GM powder, right now. Just waiting for the oils to cool a bit. What I did was mixed the powder with a bit of distilled water to get rid of the clumps. I set it aside. When the oils cool, I will add the lye water and whisk to emulsion. Then I will add the mix to the GM powder paste and whisk to trace, which should come pretty quick. Two tablespoons of GM powder in 8oz of H20 makes regular hydrated goat's milk.

I am making a batch with GM powder, right now. Just waiting for the oils to cool a bit. What I did was mixed the powder with a bit of distilled water to get rid of the clumps. I set it aside. When the oils cool, I will add the lye water and whisk to emulsion. Then I will add the mix to the GM powder paste and whisk to trace, which should come pretty quick. Two tablespoons of GM powder in 8oz of H20 makes regular hydrated goat's milk.

Thank you Cici! I was asking about lotion. I have made CP soap with the milk no problem, but was thinking about powder myself, so I will use your tips when I try it making CP. :)

Have you used it lotion?

Thank you Cici! I was asking about lotion. I have made CP soap with the milk no problem, but was thinking about powder myself, so I will use your tips when I try it making CP. :)

Have you used it lotion?

Oops, sorry. I sometimes read too fast. No, I have never used it in lotion.

I think you might have better luck with fresh or caned (diluted if necessary). I tried to make gm lotion a while back with the powder and couldn't get it right. Can I ask what percentage of gm you are trying to formulate with? If it is over 20% try lowering it.

I would think a tiny bit for a lotion should make a difference, Mixing with distilled water and add to the oils does not work in lotions. They need to be at 70 celsius for over 20 minutes. Cp soap is completely different book :))

i've made quite a few batches of emulsified body butter and lotion using powdered gm. i mixed it with distilled water during the water phase totaling not more than 10% of the total ingredients. it worked out just fine, no clumping, no smell, no nothing. i am using germall plus as my preservative. i use the maximum amount allowed (i think it was 0.7%) coz i was quite skeptical about preserving the milk.

i don't think you should mix the gm with the oils, it doesn't sound right logically to me.

Latest posts

Back