[newbie] My CO/OO/PO soap looks like a success !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaspar Navarrete

Reaction score
This past weekend, I made my 4th batch of bathing/washing soap. It was a hot process soap, and used a recipe suggested by a fellow poster.

Did I do this right (I'm still a relatively new soapmaker) ?

I did a 4lb batch. 50% olive oil (32.1 oz), 23% red palm oil (14.8 oz), 21% coconut oil (13.4 oz), and 6% castor oil (4.0 oz). Saponified with NaOH (8.8 oz) diluted in 21oz of distilled water. I used a 6% lye discount.

It looks like the soap making went okay. It took 1.75 hours to fully gel in the crock pot. I had to add a little water to keep it from getting too thick. It had the texture and viscosity of applesause when I scooped it into the molds. When I took it out of the mold to cut it into bars, it felt a little oily - as if you were feeling a piece of chocolate fudge. It passed the zap test, though. Now to start the curing. I hope these harden up in a few months. My last two batches (castille, and oo/co) did not really harden after 7 months.

Below is a picture of the final result. The hamburgers were made from the soap that dried up and stuck to the sides of the crock pot.

Thanks for your feedback.

Soap1a.jpg

Last edited:
Your recipe looks okay to me. As long as it doesn't zap I would just leave it to cure for 4 weeks and see how you like it. I've only Hp'd a couple times due to fo's misbehaving. Did you use fragrance? Sometimes that can make soap feel a bit oily.

Really proud of you! I think HPs are harder to figure out than regular CP. But then again I have only tried a few times.

Looks really good from the pics, congratulations! Most of my hp's feel soft for a few months so give it time. I am convinced hp takes longer to cure honestly so patience is key. Super job!

Latest posts

Back