Frankincense resin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
My mum bought herself some frankincense resin today for an oil burner, the smell from it is amazing.

Iv never seen resins before.

Just wanted to know if anyone has used any resins to scent their soaps? The smell seems much stronger than eo's and resin is much cheaper to.

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

i've never used resins before. sounds very interesting to me. it's a bit of a shame that the scent doesn't come through (thanks for the info, Obsidian).

Yeah it is a shame, my mums house is filled with a lush aroma just from a small amount of resin

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

This is my area kinda. You can do it a few ways. I'll give you one though :p. Take a pile of frankincense tears and place them on the bowl of a wax melter. Light your candle inside and wait until you smell the amazing smell throughout your room, this is the oil releasing. Taking a poker of some sort, turn over the bubbling resin tears here and there. When the smell is strong, snuff the candle.

Take away the candle and either allow the tears to harden together or drop them into a few oz of carrier oil in a crockpot on low/warm. It is best to do slow cooker infusion so that the tears don't get cooked via stovetop. Even on low on the stove the oil will cook the material.

Voila, cheap infusion. More sharp than Frankincense EO and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
This is my area kinda. You can do it a few ways. I'll give you one though :p. Take a pile of frankincense tears and place them on the bowl of a wax melter. Light your candle inside and wait until you smell the amazing smell throughout your room, this is the oil releasing. Taking a poker of some sort, turn over the bubbling resin tears here and there. When the smell is strong, snuff the candle.

Take away the candle and either allow the tears to harden together or drop them into a few oz of carrier oil in a crockpot on low/warm. It is best to do slow cooker infusion so that the tears don't get cooked via stovetop. Even on low on the stove the oil will cook the material.

Voila, cheap infusion. More sharp than Frankincense EO and a lot cheaper.

YES! Thank you for the idea, especially since I live within walking distance of a store that sells frankincense & myrrh. :D

I had ordered some frankincense resin and infused it in olive oil this weekend. I made a test batch of soap (holy acceleration Batman!) where I replaced all of the olive oil with the infused OO. I added a drop of two of vetiver as well (not sure about that combo).

I will say that around 24 hours after pouring, I can still smell the frankincense. It isn't nearly as pungent as it was when I poured, but it is definitely there. Even though I put it in individual silicone cavity molds, it seems to have undergone partial gel without any insulation.

I'm going to give it another week or so to see if it fades further, but then I think I will make up one of my normal sized batches with it and call it a Limited Edition. It will take a goodly amount of OO - so I am going to infuse more this week.

Any other ideas for blending? I do not have myrrh (nor will I be getting any for this holiday season, maybe next year...), but have many EO's.

I saw an episode on Soaping 101 on how to use resins in soaps. I think the one she used was dragons blood. I am planning on doing a resin soap. I am going to use frankincense, myrrh, amber and dragons blood. If I can afford to get it that is LOL/

You could also do HP and just add the oil infusion at the end as part of your superfat. There are upsides ad downsides of HP and CP, so sometimes you have to remember to match up what works best to meet your needs (as most people focus on one or the other it's easy to forget there are other options).

You could also do HP and just add the oil infusion at the end as part of your superfat. There are upsides ad downsides of HP and CP, so sometimes you have to remember to match up what works best to meet your needs (as most people focus on one or the other it's easy to forget there are other options).

That is a really good point. I often forget about HP, because I really prefer to do CP...

Any other ideas for blending? I do not have myrrh (nor will I be getting any for this holiday season, maybe next year...), but have many EO's.

Maybe infusing the frankincense for a few days. Bring to warm/low on stove or slowcooker, then when it gets to about 130 degrees or so -less is good too- turn off the stove/cooker. Do this for a few days. The aroma will have a higher concentration of EO and particulates.

The frankincense is fine, I am looking for suggestions of complementary scents to go with it.

Back