mediterranean diet?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucksapunett

Reaction score
What do you think of the Mediterranean diet?
someone follows it?

what do you think are the healthiest diets ??

I cook a great deal of Mediterranean food and Middle Eastern food, but I don't follow a specific diet.

What is a healthy diet depends on the individual. Anything else is general guidelines.

When I'm looking at a diet the first question I ask is, "Has any culture eaten this diet?" If the answer is "No" I file it in the bin labeled "Fad diet" and move on.

Mostly I focus on a diet comprised of real foods like my grandmother would've used, make sure there's some color on my plate, and get a nice mix of protein, carb, and lots of veggies. And I don't stress about it.

I actually teach nutrition at the college level, and that's pretty much great advice. There is a diet called the DASH diet that is good for people with certain conditions that seems to work well, but most 'diets' are just complicated, often not ablanced, and, well, not sustainable. You mention the general rules. :D

For me, a lower-carb diet is great. Basically, I really strive to cut waaaay down on junk carbs, and to replace carbs with vegetables, fruit and protein.

I tried a green smoothie cleanse. While I do not hold with their more fantastical claims, I do find it very helpful for getting more veggies in my diet, and for eating a healthy, high-nutrition breakfast.

I also HIGHLY recommend the MyFitnessPal app. But be aware that it over-estimates the calories used in exersise.

Many of our carbs are pretty nasty when you realize what's in them. I can easily imagine why people try out GF diets and feel great.

I don't know, I have always aspired to cook more like my grandmothers (and I'm a senior citizen...just). The premade stuff often seems pretty bland to me, like I'm just tasting the salt or sugar, and no actual flavor.

I just canned some chicken broth today, and tomorrow's task is beef broth.

I know not everyone has time for that, but cooking is pretty much my hobby, so that's a time saver.

Anyway Mediterranean food:

Any other fans of those cuisines?

I'm no vegetarian, but I must say I've gotten a lot of really good vegetarian meals out of Mediterranean cuisines.

I too prefer low carb eating. I am a carb addict but when I get rid of the bad carbs and get my carbs from fruits, veggies & good grains and legumes I feel so much better.

I haven't noticed much difference cutting out carbs, but then mine are pretty much limited to fruit or baked goods I make myself. And wheat is one of my safer food categories, so oh well. *shrug*

I do try to stay away from the highest GI fruits, and if I have a carb, I pair it with a protein. So fruit and a slice of cheese or handful of nuts.

I've never cared for sugary drinks, and that's helpful.

Just don't ask me to give up coffee. That won't be happening.

I am Italian, and then to that of American researchers who invented the Mediterranean diet should I eat legumes, whole grains, fish and little meat. And many vegetables. But the truth is sadly different. The crisis has greatly diminished the consume of fish, fruit and vegetables. Italy is no longer a country of fishermen and farmers as 70-80 years ago. Globalization has brought the junk food here too, and more and more children are obese. The school invests very little in sports and in school meals. I say this because I'm really disappointed. To me, a balanced diet is the best choice. Also I have followed for a period of a low-carbohydrate diet, but honestly I had become irritable, aggressive, and the body did not respond well. Perhaps each of us should devote himself to a diet "staff", according to their tastes and needs ... taking into consideration, unfortunately, the economic possibilities.

As much as I love olive oil, the fact that there's so much fraud is troublesome as well. I need to know my olive oil is actually olive oil.

In the US we have a crazy policy that subsidizes anything except fruits and vegetables. Then we wonder why poor people are more liable to be fat?

I use lentils in many things, but I can find chicken cheaper than lentils here, except at one market that burns up lots of gas to get there. I go a couple times a year, because their spices are the cheapest and the best too, and that makes it worth the drive. Especially if we turn it into a hen party and lots of us pile in the van.

I've tried to give up wheat too. I saw no health improvement (I don't have a wheat intolerance apparently), but like you, I was low energy. I make my own bread though, so that may account for something.

I've also been on a low carb diet where apparently fruit is evil too. Well nice, but now that's what made me really cranky, fatigued and brain fogged a bit too. So much for that. I just don't do well with no fruit. But my fruit is fruit, and when I bake with it I don't sugar the heck out of everything.

And I've tried to go without red meat, but now that's when I get really bad. It's my one safe food. I'm glad vegetarians do well without it, because I do think there are sound moral and environmental reasons for abstaining from killing animals. But for the health compromised it's a luxury I can't afford.

But back to Mediterranean food: I have taken a clue from my Lebanese and Persian friends. Use meat more as a flavoring. No needs a 12 oz slap of meat at a meal.

I sometimes wonder if the Mormons don't have a good idea with their diet. Eat whole grains. Eat meat sparingly. Eat fruits and vegetables. As you say, as balanced diet.

I'm not a Mormon, but their dietary guidelines seem to work very well for me.

Other than the part about no caffeine. I'm not giving coffee up unless God gives me a REALLY big sign haha

I lurk on a site called Low Carb Friends that is dedicated to low carb eating. Now, these folks are pretty extreme, but I've also gotten some really good recipes and ideas, especially for my dad who is diabetic. For example, I used riced cauliflower in place of rice. You shred the cauliflower, cover and nuke for about 3 minutes. If you are using a bold-flavored sauce, you don't miss the rice. I made my dad a curry and used this instead of rice and he really liked it.

I haven't tried to go truly "low carb" but when almost all of my carbs are healthy ones, I feel MUCH better.

BTW, I make a really good Mediteranean-inspired soup. It's a small batch, which is good if you are cooking for one! It makes 3 big servings. It freezes well.

Jennie-O sweet italian turkey sausage (2 links) (You can also use pork sausage)
2 carrots (chopped)
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 heaping spoonful of minced garlic
4 cups chicken stock
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup dry brown rice
1/4 cup dry lentils

Heat a little oil in a pot. Cook carrots, celery, onion and garlic until tender. Remove casings from sausage and brown the sausage. add the rest of the ingredients. Cook until rice and lentils are done.

I too prefer low carb eating. I am a carb addict but when I get rid of the bad carbs and get my carbs from fruits, veggies & good grains and legumes I feel so much better.

That's the truth though. If only I could afford it..

Italy is no longer a country of fishermen and farmers as 70-80 years ago. Globalization has brought the junk food here too, and more and more children are obese.

I worked near Pozzallo Sicily and La Spezia a number of yrs ago. The food was amazing -especially mussel linguine... Even though the junky food has entered there, its generally cheaper, better selection, and better quality wise than here. It is sad though chucksapunett, what happened to the cooking days of ADA BONI?

booko, I am in agreement with you on everything !! But resist the coffee in Italy (in Naples) is hard !! :))

Latest posts

Back