breast milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
I know it has been discussed before. But it was on the local 4 p.m. news today. The story said a pregnant lady first started making it for herself to help her skin. Now she makes it for other people, too. They provide their own milk and she uses it to make them soap. Her name is Paula De'Amore, but that may not be spelled correctly. They also did not give a location. So far they have not put it on their website, but if they do I'll link to it. I also have not Googled it.

So I did Google it:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/09/03/breast-milk-soap/15020677/

I've made some for a friend and her baby a while back. I don't think she used it on the baby yet...she said she's been hoarding it for herself. lol. I've used it too (I always use what I make), and it's quite nice.

Interesting. 'a first-time soap maker, and she does it by combining the milk with coconut oil, glycerin and other natural ingredients' MP?

OMG. This one is getting SO much press. Breast milk in MP? No thanks. It's not the breast milk that is the problem, it's the melt and pour soap base. Wonder how long THAT takes to get nice and rancid smelling?

I felt like saying "yuck" when I first heard about it, but now I understand that it works for some people. I know that Korean soapers make breast milk soap regularly and it has been broadcasted in a couple of TV shows in Korea to inform people about how soaps were helping people for those who were suffering from dry/eczema skin.

As for me, I've only made it(using the mom's own milk) once for a friend and her baby who was suffering from eczema. She said breast milk was much milder than any other soaps she have been using.

yuck, im not sure that breast milk would do that much for the soap.

Big Eeewwwwww.

As before, big yuk from me.

yuck, im not sure that breast milk would do that much for the soap.

Double yuck ewwwww

If milk used in soap was from a cow, sheep or goat would that be gross? We mass farm animals and specific breed for large utters/breasts and load them with hormones to produce even more baby food. If someone uses milk from our own species it becomes disgusting?

I remember a couple years back there were a few shops on etsy doing this, and there were quite a few of them - buyers would send them their breast milk and they would then make them their own breastmilk soap (cp, i believe). after the etsy rules changed (in big part to these types of things), breast milk soap was no longer allowed as items could not contain any kind of human part/excretion/etc...

I'll have to side with the yucks on this one. I like the feel of goat milk soap, but all the while using it I'm thinking "I'm bathing with body fluids that came out of an animals breast to get clean." I like the soap but my thoughts just make it a strange experience. Then when I heard people were really making soap with human breast milk, I was shocked. People are not crazy, if it works we're going to use it no matter how strange it seems. It's just me, I guess, I just can't bring myself to do that. I don't even know that I could keep a straight face if someone asked me to make it for them. But in the defense of people with skin problems, especially babies, I can see how the mothers milk would benefit baby's skin. I would imagine though that just a "milk bath" would help more because the milk would be fresh, pure, live and not damaged by the lye. That's just my 2¢ worth.

LOL I don't understand the 'yucks' from ppl..I mean seriously..you would rather use milk from a stinky goat, cow, etc animal but not clean human milk in soap....to each his/her own I guess but this cracks me up LOL

I think my squeamishness might come from some innate cannibalism taboos. I routinely put cow milk in my coffee, but not people milk. That's just me though... If it makes folks happy and doesn't hurt anyone, more power to 'em. :)

This thread brings back memories of being a nursing mom, a really precious and brief time in my life. I remember that breast milk had a high sugar content, tasted just like the milk in a bowl of sweetened cereal. It might make a nice soap! Then again, I read that breasts were nothing more or less than modified sweat glands, lol!

Latest posts

Back