Can I use Shea in place of high SF in a coconut heavy recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambers_artworld

Reaction score
Hi all of you smart soapy people! I've searched for the answer to this and can't seem to find it, sorry if it has already been answered elsewhere. My question is, if I make a batch high in coconut (30%) do I have to do a high super fat even if I use a high amount of Shea? I am hoping for a longer-lasting bar, and was wondering if 10% Shea, because of the high amount of nonsaponifiables, could replace a steep SF and allow me to do instead around five or 6%. The remaining oils are the usual suspects, palm, olive, Castor. What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance!

"...My question is, if I make a batch high in coconut (30%) do I have to do a high super fat even if I use a high amount of Shea?.."

What is a high superfat in your opinion?

As far as the unsaponifiables in shea being a substitute for superfat, I don't think it works that way -- at least I haven't heard anyone speaking of using shea in that sense. But I might be missing that.

The main advantage of shea in my opinion is the high stearic acid content. That much coconut oil is going to make a short-lived, high cleansing bar, but the stearic in the shea will help increase the longevity. Regardless of the fats in the recipe, I would formulate the recipe to have a nice balance of cleansing, conditioning, good lather, and longevity and I would still use my usual superfat, which translates in soapcalc terms to about 2-3%.

Back