Trying to make dark purple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Be real. There's no such thing as having enough colorants, is there? *heavy sigh* I thought I had enough colors, honest. But...

I'm trying to make a color appropriate for black currant fo, so I mixed the darkest purple mica I have with a bit of charcoal, in oil. And I'm still mixing. I wanted to do a mica oil pencil swirl (mica oil dribbled on soap, then more batter dropped swirled in), but the charcoal doesn't mix in.

Any ideas how to get it to cooperate? I thought of glycerin, but wasn't sure that would be absorbed into the batter like oil would.

I do my "dark" purple with a lavender base with cobalt blue and neon pink mixed into it. Makes a nice deep purple.

I got a pretty dusky purple with alkanet infusion and indigo in the water before the lye.

If you're set on integrating the charcoal, disperse it with some oil from the recipe and then mix it into the batter.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try heating the oil just a bit? Sometimes my colorants mix better if I hit it with the microwave for a few seconds.

Hmm, I haven't had a problem with charcoal incorporating. However, I don't use it any more. I prefer black oxide to darken my colors.

Latest posts

Back