Spotting in curing soap - will this clear up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
This recipe was poured about 36 hours ago and I'm noticing that it has some small white spotting in it.

The recipe has CO, OO, lard, GV shortening as well as Fragrance oil and TD for whitening.

It looks like the edges are a nice creamy white color and the interior is a little more cream/yellow with some white specks, IDK if those white specs are the beginning of the whitening process.

Anyone have any experience with this?

cured1.jpg

cured2.jpg

It looks like you have partial gel. The center might lighten a little but it won't turn white like the edges. The specks are most likely TD that didn't get mixed in all the way.

Did you use titanium dioxide to color the soap?

Yeah, that was what the TD was that I mentioned. I was to lazy to type it out the first time, lol.

So what does partial gel mean? Does this mean it should be rebatched or something? I tried the soap (never tired it so soon after pouring) and it worked very well IMO.

This is the first time I tried TD so I really don't know what to expect from it.

Hi RogueRose,

There's nothing wrong with your soap and absolutely no need to rebatch. Hopefully somebody can explain it better to you soon, but in an effort to reassure you; gel phase is part of the saponification process. The energy generated by the process turns the soap a bit translucent. It actually quickens the saponification process. It will turn opaque as it cools. However you will be able to see a difference between the gelled and ungelled.

Back