Recipe advice please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I am trying to make a new recipe to use up some of this big cube of lard I have before going vegan friendly. I used a 5% sf so I could add sfs at the end of the cook to help with fluidity. I would like to use shea butter, coconut oil, vit e, glycerin, and olive oil as my superfats but am not sure how much to use. I've never added sfs at the end instead of just putting them in the sf spot on soapcalc. What do you think of this recipe and how much of each for superfats should I use at the end of my cook? I know this sounds screwy but I would like to use up this lard and I just bought a bunch of rice bran oil and would like to lower my olive oil usage to maybe just superfatting with it. Sorry that I'm making yall sick of me with all these questions I've been asking. I do have enough shea butter to add quite a bit for superfatting. Would like to come up with a recipe that would be a good overall one for any skin type I guess and make it my recipe to use all the time. I also have 8 pounds of stearic acid to use up as well that could be added in my recipe. On top of all this, I have to come up with a slow tracing recipe using these oils for trying to do cping with swirls. I have ordered so many fragrance oils lately I'm afraid I'll never get them all soaped if I don't come up with a good recipe that I can use for everybody's needs and be able to measure it all out ahead of time and just put it premeasured in the plastic shoeboxes I bought. Problems of a schizophrenic soaper lol. (I really am so don't get all frazzled about me saying that because you have a disabled loved one) I have to laugh about my problems to keep from getting stressed out and adding to my disability darn it. Please help if you can understand what I'm asking for your help with. Yes, lol, I know I need more "help" than anyone on here can give me but I promise, I take my meds. I'm not a psychotic schizophrenic so for anyone who don't know me on here by now, you have nothing to fear from me and my nutness. I just have a good bit of brain damage and it's hard for me to work things out sometimes to be able to explain my soaping goals I'm trying to achieve when I inquire of yalls' expertise :) For some reason, it won't let me attach my recipe so here it is and if anybody can tell me why it won't allow me to attach files anymore, I would love to know: SoapCalc © Recipe Name: Print Recipe
Total oil weight 32 oz
Water as percent of oil weight 38 %
Super Fat/Discount 5 %
Lye Concentration 26.756 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.738:1
Sat : Unsat Ratio 49 : 51
Iodine 61
INS 145
Fragrance Ratio 0.5
Fragrance Weight 1 oz
Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.760 12.160 344.730
Lye - NaOH 0.278 4.442 125.928
Oils 2.000 32.000 907.184
Fragrance 0.063 1.000 28.350
Soap weight before CP cure or HP cookMore info 3.101 49.602 1406.192
# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Palm Oil 30.000 0.600 9.600 272.155
2 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 15.000 0.300 4.800 136.078
3 Rice Bran Oil 25.000 0.500 8.000 226.796
4 Castor Oil 5.000 0.100 1.600 45.359
5 Palm Kernel Oil Flakes, hydrogenated 7.000 0.140 2.240 63.503
6 Lard, Pig Tallow Manteca 18.000 0.360 5.760 163.293
Totals 100 2.000 32.000 907.184
Soap Bar Quality Range Your Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 47
Cleansing 12 - 22 15
Conditioning 44 - 69 48
Bubbly 14 - 46 20
Creamy 16 - 48 36
Iodine 41 - 70 61
INS 136 - 165 145
Lauric 11
Myristic 5
Palmitic 26
Stearic 6
Ricinoleic 5
Oleic 32
Linoleic 11
Linolenic 0
Additives Notes

Last edited:
My recipe is very similar to that except I wouldnt have both the palm and lard. I use a large % of lard regularly and love it. Cp it gives me loads of swirling time even when I do steep water discounts. If you want to use that lard up loose the palm. I really think you will like that recipe (I do)

I admire your determination and willingness to over come your disabilities and try new things. Even the most experienced soaper will ask questions, so don't hesitate. Unfortunately, I am not the best person concerning your particular questions, so hopefully someone with more experience will answer. :)

I agree with the others, use a larger percentage of lard and save the palm for a vegan soap. However, your recipe looks like it will work well, so you might go ahead a make a small batch using your original recipe and a small batch using more lard. Then you can compare both recipes to see which you like best. By small batches, I mean about 1 pound of oils.

Thanks yall. How much of each of the superfatting oils do I use at the end of my cook to keep it fluid if I use the recipe as is and add extra oils other than the ones I have figured in my 5%? I know it will make it a higher superfat but I usually superfat at like 8%. Do I just figure 3% of total oils and use a little of each to make the 3%? Or if I recalc my recipe at 0% sf, how much of each of the oils do I use to make 8%sf? Olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin e, and glycerin as superfatting oils?

Fair enough. Then yes, you figure out what percentage superfat you want (3% added to the previous 5% to total 8%) and add all the bits of oils you want to use for superfatting to total that 3%,

Vitamin E and glycerin are not saponifiable oils so they cannot be considered "superfat". If you want to add them to add them, then do so, but they aren't superfat.

I agree with Megan -- unless you have a good reason to use palm oil AND lard, I'd use just one or the other. You say your goal is to get rid of the lard, so use it up.

Pick one fat to be your final superfat and follow Susie's advice. My rule of thumb is any soaping oil needs to be 5% or more of my recipe -- there's no point to including a fat if it's less than 5% of the total.

If your goal is fluidity, don't look to superfat to solve that particular problem. A slightly higher water content or adding sodium lactate are better choices. If you get too high of a superfat, you're going to cut lather.

Back