Mold dimension help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I am wanting to order some molds off an auction site and I need to ask yall to help me know how much they will hold in oil weight. Here are the dimensions that are listed but I don't know if that is inner dimensions or if it is outside dimensions and they are including the lip of it too. Capacity: 1.2 L or 1200 ML
Approximate Dimensions: 10.2 inches (L) x 3 inches (W) x 3 inches (H) or 260 mm x 75 mm x 78 mm.
I sent them an email but there is no telling when they will get back with me due to the weekend and Labor Day. There aren't many left and I would like to order them. I'm trying to figure out what the bar size will be and how many pounds I can make in them. It has been another long terrible day with no sleep hardly at all this week and my brain just isn't wanting to work for me tonight. Please help me if you will and can. Thanks so very much in advance. Forgive my late night stupidity please.

pink mold.jpg

I bought a mold like this one before and it ended up being tiny so I figured I better ask yall's help this time before I go wasting money that is already tight.

See my thread and the pic of y boxes my neighbor made. He said he would make a 24 inch custom box with dividers and cutting slit for $40. I've yet to see a box that comes close to the one I have. :) His phone # is 731-934-0335. LOVE mine!

I normally do this calculation when trying to figure out how big of a batch I can make in whatever mold:

L x W x H (all inside dimensions) x .4 = batch size according to oil weight in ounces.

10.2 x 3 x 3 x .4 = 36.72 oz. batch (or 2.2 lbs or about 1 Liter) .

If those are indeed the inside dimensions of that mold, I would expect to be able to cut the loaf into eight 3"x3" bars that are a little over 1 1/4" thick, or nine 3"x3" bars that are a little over 1" thick.

IrishLass :)

Thanks Irishlass. I did the calculation and that's what I got too. I just hope that is the inside dimensions and not the outside including the lip. I can't wait to get an answer back from the seller. Pipergrey93, I already have some great wooden molds that my fiance made me. I'm just tired of lining them every time I make soap. Thanks though for the tip.

I have that mold! 2.2 pounds is correct for it, which usually leaves just enough soap for one small extra bar (assuming normal amounts of lye and about a 33% lye concentration).

Back