i did it!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so it wasn't my high attempts at a first ever soap being a peacock swirl or a milk soap. No. Instead I decided to listen to things I was told and read, and soap my first ever cp soap as a fragrance tester...to see if it does in fact smell different in soap than oob. I had fo I wasn't too fond of oob, and decided to put them to the test!
Boring, but smart I guess :razz:
So. Things I learned.

Yes! I can already tell a BIG difference in the soaped fo than in the bottle. The wsp almond 86 isn't as cherry smelling as oob, but I still can smell it some. It is better in soap, so far, though.

Yes, I saw what I believe was false trace. It looked like a light trace had begun, but the edges looked like oil still. Stirring, stick blending brought it to a real trace eventually.

Yes, fragrances accelerate lol. Saffron honey by bb did some. I did go from light to somewhat med trace stick blending, so had I been better at stopping at light trace, I could've done swirls and such even with it's acceleration. A small acceleration lets call it (noticeable in the pics).

Labeling and premessuring is a must.

Finally, sandalwood Cybilla bb is as bad as its reviews :-(

It went so well!!! I've never been so careful and neat in all my life:)

The one thing I almost forgot, the dryer sheet to wipe the lye utensils and lid down with...but I*got them in time.

I turned off the air conditioner because I get a large draft in the kitchen. I got soooo hot in my long sleeve robe, and my goggles fogged up bad. My oldest daughter had to wipe them out halfway through lol. Do you fog up ever? That was rough.
I am sure only you all will appreciate my enthusiasm. I was worried it would be a let down and I'd get over my obsession. Nope. I've only just begun!

Off for my second batch tomorrow....goats milk :)

Sorry for the ramblings you all!
Edit...70% oo, 30% co, 5% SF, 38% water to oil, .7 oz ppo fo for testing the scent, figured one cavity volume, multiplied times 5 cavities, then times 40% for oils. Used grams for such a small batch. Simple recipe for testing.

IMAG1494_1.jpg

IMAG1496.jpg

IMAG1497.jpg

IMAG1499.jpg

IMAG1500.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I saw what I believe was false trace. It looked like a light trace had begun, but the edges looked like oil still. Stirring, stick blending brought it to a real trace eventually.

Thats not false trace, thats just the oils and lye not being completely emulsified. Once you can no longer see the oil around the edges, the soap if fully mixed and shouldn't separate.

False trace is when the hard oils in the recipe start solidifying before true trace is reached. This will only happen when soaping cool and using oils with a high melting temp like coco butter.

A wonderful start! :)

As for goggles steaming up, mine do as well, because I also wear a mask. It's annoying, but I'd rather be frustrated than dealing with the accidental splash burns!
I'm an avid gamer, as well as a soaping addict, and I've always used the term GG (good game)...it's become something completely different, since I took up soaping (DH teases me relentlessly about it, of course lol)..I always say GG when I'm preparing my stuff, to remind myself Goggles & Gloves. ::snort::
Have a wonderful time exploring and experimenting!! :)

Latest posts

Back