Does raw unrefined shea butter retain its smell in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roni

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post - normally I just lurk around reading everything :)

But I bought some raw unrefined shea butter online and the smell is strong. Not bad/rancid, just smoky and strong. I'm not sure I'm a fan tbh.

Normally I use refined shea, but this was a fairly good deal (20lbs for $100) and I'd heard good things about its skin loving properties.

My question is, will the shea scent come through if I soap with it? I can do a test batch later, but I wanted to know if anyone else had tried it first. I didn't want to waste any FO if the shea is going to overpower them anyway.

It smells REALLY strongly. I'll be happy if the smell doesn't come through though, because it will mean I can use it.

I have used raw shea up to 75% and the scent does not really stick other than slightly nutty. This was a very strong smelling shea. At lower percentages I have not noticed any lingering fragrance from the shea

I did a test batch yesterday and no scent retained at 8% shea. Thank god. The shea itself smells awful, but I'm glad I can use it.

Back