First ever DOS. Is it the room temp?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katsntx

Reaction score
So I've got my first ever case of DOS. UGH! Actually, two batches have developed this. I am quite sure it is DOS. I've seen enough photos to know. The thing is, this is one of the recipes I have used for a long time and I"ve never had an issue. The only thing that has changed is that I have moved to a new house and it hotter in this house than the other.

Question: What is the ideal room temp to store/cure your soaps? I'm thinking maybe humidity has something to do with it also. I live near Houston so it is very humid here. Also, I'm thinking it might be too hot in my soap room for my oils too. *sigh* might have to pay the extra $$ to crank up the A/C.

I live in Louisiana, and we keep the AC at 75 during the day during the summer. I keep the door to the room where it is stored open at all times for good air flow. If you don't have good air flow where you are storing them, try blowing a fan into there before turning down the thermostat. That should help. If it is VERY humid, you might want to try some Damp Rid or a small dehumidifier in your soap curing area. I would do a lot of things before running that AC extra just for soap.

Have you checked the expiration dates of the oils?

Last edited:
Thanks, Susie. Yes, I've checked the oils and all are within expiration dates and smell fine. I do know this house is warmer than the other. I keep the ceiling fan running in there, but will add another fan as well. Damp Rid is also a good idea.

What temp does everyone else keep their curing rooms?

Thanks, Susie. Yes, I've checked the oils and all are within expiration dates and smell fine. I do know this house is warmer than the other. I keep the ceiling fan running in there, but will add another fan as well. Damp Rid is also a good idea.

What temp does everyone else keep their curing rooms?

If possible, have a fan out in a hall or adjacent room blowing air into that room so you are not just circulating moist air inside there. I would probably use two of the tubs of Damp Rid in the room just until you see how fast they need emptying.

Latest posts

Back