HDPE Soap Mold and Sodium Lactate Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaccart789

Reaction score
I am using a new soap mold. Its the HDPE (plastic) soap mold. Even when using sodium lactate I have to wait two days to un-mold, when my wood mold I can remove the same recipe 12 hours after making but I normally will wait 24. I ask because the way the soap mold is made, I have to break the seal before I can slip the sides off and the bottom piece is a real pain moving without denting my soap, sometimes breaking the seal causes the soap to stick to the mold when it feels hard as a rock on the top. Would putting it in the freezer help for a few minutes?

I like this shape mold slightly better than my wood mold and I really want to continue using it, any advice would be helpful.

Oh and sodium lactate 60%... I used .3 for 2lb soap. Is that too much or not enough? WSP didn't specify and I keep reading different things. What would you use for 2 Lbs?

I know some do not but I always line my hdpe molds with freezer paper, just makes life simplier with no sticking problems. Being able to wash and sanitize my molds after use keeps me from using wood molds and I am not crazy about silicone molds, so I stick with hdpe. Also I like the size and shape. Freezing will help, just make sure your soap is fully set-up before freezing if you are doing this to remove from the mold.

Thanks Carolyn! I think I might start lining too...great advice!

Do you use sodium lactate? How much would you use for 2lbs of soap?

I used to grease my HDPE soap molds with petroleum jelly to prevent sticking. I stopped using them because of the hassle.

Thank you ladies. I am really sad... I just pulled the side of the mold off thinking it was hard as a rock, It took huge chunks of soap! I might be on the hunt for another type of soap mold! Geez...annoying. :/

I use 1 teaspoon sodium lactate per pound of oils....added to the lye water. I had the same problems as you with the HDPE molds....I line them with freezer paper & no more problems. Soap comes out easily.

Thank you ladies. I am really sad... I just pulled the side of the mold off thinking it was hard as a rock, It took huge chunks of soap! I might be on the hunt for another type of soap mold! Geez...annoying. :/
If you ever want to get rid of your hdpe mold just pm me. It is all I use and can use a few more smaller ones for testing

Thank you ISG!! Too late, but now I know. :) I already trimmed the sides and it doesn't look too bad. I really appreciate that tip!

If I end up with a new soap mold I will let you know Carolyn.

I don't have that particular acrylic mold, but I have Brambleberry's wooden vertical mold that comes with the thick, white acrylic liners, and I can sympathize full well with your frustration of trying to unmold soap cleanly and smoothly from acrylic. Pardon my language, but what a pain in the tookas! lol

My soap formulas are not soft, I use sodium lactate, and I gel, but my soap is still problematic to unmold from those darn acrylic liners! :twisted: I've tried mineral oil, I've tried the freezer method and even the oven method that I read about on the Soapmaking Resource page, but none have been 100% foolproof for me. I really love the mold otherwise, though (it gives me several wonderful soap design options), so I've taken to lining it with either mylar or silicone fondant mats instead, or even bubble-wrap (depending on the look I'm going for), and it's working out great for me- no more unmolding frustrations. :)

Regarding sodium lactate, I use the 60% solution, too, and my normal usage rate for it is 3% ppo, which works out to 1 tablespoon of the solution ppo. I mix it in with my lye water.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back