Sea water salt bars??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganmischke

Reaction score
Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to use sea water for my lye solution for a salt bar? I was thinking of doing 80% co 20% avocado and 20% sf 90% sea salt and Atlantic sea water. Does any one have any experience with using sea water with salt bars? Thanks for any input.

I've never used it but I would in a heartbeat if I was close to the sea. I think it would be a good idea to run it through a coffee filter first though, you don't want any particulates getting in the soap.

The only thing that comes to mind would be any impurities in the water, but there a few soapers who use sea water with no issues. You might want to run it through a filter first. Give it a go and see how it turns out. I just made a lovely salt water brine soap and it lathers ok but it needs a good long cure.

Thanks for the quick responses! I am going to try it tonight. It looks clear. I have had it sitting in a jar in the refrigerator. There are a few grains of sand at the bottom. It is a big jar, Obsidian I can send you some.

I made some solesife (salt water soap) a few months ago - it has taken AGES to cure enough for me to use without feeling dry - I personally found them incredibly drying initially, but I also have quite sensitive/dry skin. Get ready to work quickly! The salt really amps up trace! The texture of the salt water bars is wild, though! It's almost like washing with a stone or something... hard butter? Hahaha very very neat texture and lasts forever. I'm personally not planning on selling them as I'm not pleased with the overall drying factor though, but could have been my recipe - will maybe try again one day. Good luck! Please update us! :)

It worked out well so far. I know everyone say salt really speeds up trace but I find I end up having to wait at leat 10 min after I add salt to pour so the salt get evenly suspended. Maybe I soap too cool. Idk. I really didn't like my first salt bars at all but at least 8 months old I am loving them. I made solsiefe bars last month that I am liking so far even though they are young.

I've never used it but I would in a heartbeat if I was close to the sea. I think it would be a good idea to run it through a coffee filter first though, you don't want any particulates getting in the soap.
Do you have a tropical fish supply, that sells saltwater fish? Many times they have tanks of sea water for sale. When I had my boat I used to bring back water from San Clemente Island. Now I just dissolve pacific sea salt into a brine.

there is a soaper in youtube (arianne arsenault) who uses filtered sea water for her soaps. i think it's really nice to use sea water if you can get a filtered one.

Latest posts

Back