When to cut soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftymom0263

Reaction score
I poured my soap in the mold about an hour ago. It looks like it's set. Should I cut it now or should I wait until I get out of work tonight at 10:00?

Unless its salt soap or melt and pour i wouldn't want to try cutting for at least 12-24 hours

I usually cut most of my soaps 24 hours after pouring in the mold. However, it's depending on what type of soap you've made and how much water you've used. For example, when I used 38% water, I waited out more than two days to cut it, but for salt bar, I cut as soon as the soap has hardened.

Last edited:
Personally I do a 24 hour minimum. I know some people do as little as 8 hours. 24-48 hours has worked fantastic for me. If you are getting into cp soaps, it's an art of patience. No need to rush it in my opinion.

Cut it when it's ready! Which is between 4 hours to 4 days (or more) depending on the soap.

If it has gelled, I cut when it's cooled back down to room temperature - anywhere from 12-24 hours after it's poured.

If it's ungelled, it depends on the recipe but usually 2 days, sometimes 3.

Latest posts

Back