Hardness of soap bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecorasfigs

Reaction score
Hi ladies. Most of my recipes are geared toward conditioning. So they are usually In the 40 range on soap cal. How long should I leave before unmolding. 24 hours is to soon. They are still soft even with LS .5 in 2lb recipe

My go to is a little bit lower than yours and i dont have any real problems. If its a pretty swirl recpie and i dont want any drag marks i will wait 3 days if gelled, 5 or so if gelled. If its just a basic solid colour i cut 24 hours after pouring

Most of my recipes are under 35 hardness and I can usually cut within 12 hours. How much water are you using for a 2lb batch? Reducing the water a bit will help it harden faster.

I usually use soap cal recommendations.Today I use sage calculator. They said 8-12 oz of water. I used 8 and of course soap thicken .

As I always say - cut when it is ready! Practice with a recipe and of course the first few times might be too soon or too late, but then you'll get a feel for it.

Personally, I put a knife in to the end piece to see how it is and, when I get good feedback, I cut away.

I generally cut between 18-24 hours. My hardness is usually 35-37 and I do gel all my soaps. I don't If you are using a lot of liquid oils it will take your soap longer to set up. Also depends on if you gel or not. Will also depend on your water/liquid amount. There are a lot of variables.

Latest posts

Back