Frozen with indecision

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am the happy owner of 3 bb fo's, but have no vision of what their soaps should look like. Just what color is "spiced apple cider"? I also have pomegranate & black currant, blackberry sage. Would anyone like to share some design ideas?

Spiced apple cider: I see something red, brown, tan simple layering technique or a mantra swirl
Pomegranate and black current: Red and black maybe do a hanger swirl for this one
Blackberry: Purple, black and cream in the pot swirl.

Oh the colors and techniques are endless!

Is this your first time using these FOs? I assume yes.

First of all, try to find information on potential discoloration with these FOs because this could change your final results drastically. Let's say one of them discolors. You can add it to just half the soap batter, color the other anything you like and do some type of two tones soap.

However, if that FO was to both discolor and accelerate, then you have the situation of a soft batter and a thickly traced one. You can still do a two tone design but not a tiger swirl or spoon swirl.

As far as colors, I see apple cider an even apple cider color- a rich light tan -, but some of my soaps are boring. You could also use an apple shaped mold, or an apple shaped embed.

For the second (if the FOs allow it) I would spoon swirl half rose clay and half charcoal.

Cocoa powder is very effective creating browns, or dark brown pencil lines. So you could also go rose clay with a cocoa pencil line.

I was thinking... just start getting things ready and I am sure it will come to you. I have many times abandoned my ideas at last moment and come up with something totally different. Let the soap speak to you. ;)

I was thinking... just start getting things ready and I am sure it will come to you. I have many times abandoned my ideas at last moment and come up with something totally different. Let the soap speak to you. ;)

Let the soap speak! I love it; good thing I'm alone in the house so no one can hear me talk back!

Greensoap, thanks for reminding me about checking for discoloration. I do that when I order...but I think one of them did discolor slightly, and I bought burgundy oxide just for that reason!

I talk to my soap all the time, but I am usually cursing at it. Happy soaping and post pics. I love looking at soap creations!

Can you mix mica colors to make a new shade? For coloring pomegranate, I have some BB burgundy mica which is quite dark; thought I'd mix that with some pink mica (Nurture Soaps pink vibrance, so it's not a pastel) to tone it down some.

Blackberry is going to have to be alkanet root, I don't have anything else close to it.

Apple cider - add some ground cinnamon and/or clove. You'll have nice specks that complement the color. Or color some of the soap a red-brown or burgundy color and do a swirl.

Pomegranate and Black Current - I would do a swirl of bright red and dark blue/purple.
Just what color is "spiced apple cider"? I also have pomegranate & black currant, blackberry sage. Would anyone like to share some design ideas?

Blackberry sage - Dark blue/purple and green.

You can certainly mix micas. I mix micas, oxides and ultramarines as well as clay sometimes to get different colors. Just have fun with it. As someone else said, just let it speak to you and if it gives you fits, curse at it.

Spiced apple cider: I see something red, brown, tan simple layering technique or a mantra swirl
Pomegranate and black current: Red and black maybe do a hanger swirl for this one
Blackberry: Purple, black and cream in the pot swirl.

Oh the colors and techniques are endless!

I second this suggestion with the addition of a mauve or purple for the pomegranate & black current FO.

Remember just because they call the scent "spiced apple cider" doesn't mean you couldn't call it spiced apple and color the soap pink/red or even green. You don't have to go by the scent description, most of the time I make my own names and color how I like. FYI apple cider is light brown - not a real exciting color.

Remember just because they call the scent "spiced apple cider" doesn't mean you couldn't call it spiced apple and color the soap pink/red or even green. You don't have to go by the scent description, most of the time I make my own names and color how I like. FYI apple cider is light brown - not a real exciting color.

That is so true! Sometimes soaping brings out my perfectionistic streak and I need reminding that I don't have to play by the rules!

I sincerely hope to make soap tomorrow; we'll see what I can come up with!

Back