Refrierating Oils to extend Shelf Life ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaspar Navarrete

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Can I refrigerate my leftover pomace olive oil, castor oil, palm oil, and coconut oil to extend its shelf life ?

Will this affect the properties or saponification value of the oil ?

The reason why I ask is that I have made about 1 year's worth or soap. I won't need to make soap again until around January 2015. So I want to make sure my leftover oil doesn't get bad (or old).

Thanks

yes you can , but just an FYI , those oils that you mention all have long shelf life and will maintain even in a cool place in the home out of direct sunlight . oils that have a short shelf life are the ones you should try keep in the refrigerator . here is a handy listing of the shelf life of some of the most used oils , hope it helps : http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/carrieroils.html

I have all my short shelf life oils in the freezer with the butters I only use for lip balm. I hate waste, so that seemed safest.

I also have a batch of unscented/unflavored lip balm I made up to test freezer safety for it. If that works well, I will make a large batch of lip balm and freeze in an ice cube tray to bag up later. That way, I can pull out one "cube" which should make about 6-7 tubes.

Lion, thanks so much for the info. I have been jumping all over to various sites/books for shelf life information for an "Oil Properties" worksheet that I am working on. Much appreciated from a Newb.

Lion, thanks so much for the info. I have been jumping all over to various sites/books for shelf life information for an "Oil Properties" worksheet that I am working on. Much appreciated from a Newb.

thanks not needed oh young padawan , the force is with you hidden in the bubbles . they might not tell you but i will ..... we are all Newb in this vast soapmaking universe and everyday we seek out the knowledge ... i know i do :)

Latest posts

Back