My batch of failed salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerflyy

Reaction score
varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphpwmKh1G.jpg

So I recently made a batch of failed salt bars, LOL. The first few days I hated it but now as it approaches the 1st week cure mark, I like it better. It's less drying than when it first came out of the mold.

It was supposed to be a three colour swirl but .... I poured at too thin a trace so it ended up only becoming almost only one colour. It was too brittle to cut and the salt kept falling everywhere ! LOL. So yes, it's not a very pretty peace of soap !

It might be my climate but this batch of soap really leak ALOT of water. Like I came home yesterday to find my soap swimming in a puddle and there's a puddle of water on the floor where it flowed off the board. [You can see in the photo that there are some wet spots on my parchment paper]

Had to dry them and this morning when I woke up, they are weeping again !

So I decided to call them weepy bars. LOL. But I have to say that weepy is pretty nice to use. I tried out on my face last night and I liked the results. I thought I would never make a salt bar again but hmmm.... I just might so I can have prettier salt bars...

Unfortunately I can't see the picture. However, salt bars are best after 2-3 months. I don't even use them until then. They are even better after 6 months. Yes, the weather, humidity can play a factor in them weeping but I've never had them weep as badly as you are describing. I love salt bars and need to make more really soon as my stock is depleting quickly. Sorry they didn't work well for you but don't give up they are really lovely to use.

Thank you ! I think I would give this another try some other day. But yes, it's really weeping very badly. I am going home in another 2 hours and hopefully when I come home to it, it won't be lying in a puddle of water again !

Guess I'll let it sit out for very much longer

I don't think they "failed". Just gove them some time. They should stop sweating eventually. I didn't even really like my salt bars until they were 6 months old and now at a year old I am going to try again. For me salt bars should be left fairly simple. Kudos to you for trying three colors☺ and cutting is all about timing.

I don't think they "failed". Just gove them some time. They should stop sweating eventually. I didn't even really like my salt bars until they were 6 months old and now at a year old I am going to try again. For me salt bars should be left fairly simple. Kudos to you for trying three colors☺ and cutting is all about timing.

Thank you ! I think the next time I make it, I will put it in a single cavity mold instead so I don't have to fuss with the cutting.

I hope they stop sweating soon. At least when I came home today the puddle is a smaller puddle than yesterday !

I think they look very nice and I really like the colors.
Are you postive it is water and not coconut. If you did a high superfat with light trace they can leak oil, it will re-absorb. I have never had salt bars weep that much even with the ones I use DS in. Salt bars get better and better with time. Mine will not lather less than the 2 months cure time

I think they look very nice and I really like the colors.
Are you postive it is water and not coconut. If you did a high superfat with light trace they can leak oil, it will re-absorb. I have never had salt bars weep that much even with the ones I use DS in. Salt bars get better and better with time. Mine will not lather less than the 2 months cure time

Thank you ! My dad told me I made ugly soaps when he saw that I was drying my soaps.

I thought it was oil but when I touched the liquid, it was very fluid and did not smell like anything. It didn't feel oily either.

I'm thinking that it's the humidity because it has been POURING for four days already and it doesn't help that Singapore is always hot and humid.

My other bars were curing fine until yesterday. Today another batch started to sweat a little but nothing dramatic like the salt bars. I just woke up and when I checked the bars, half of my soaps were sweating and it started to pour, AGAIN.

Doesn't help that there isn't any other place that I can cure in the house, if not I would split them up and give them more breathing space.

Aww I like them too, and they do totally look like rose quartz!

Now I feel much better LOL. My dad told me they were ugly. Broke my heart. They are not the prettiest things but they aren't THAT bad either ! LOL thank you !

Back