Sunshine Soleseife

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the soleseife / brine bar I made this weekend. Colored with beta carotene (6 capsules in 700 g oil, split for different shades). I love the orange, but as you can see, I didn't get much contrast. Next time I'd use TD for one of the parts; I was lazy this time and didn't want to mess with it.

The fragrance blend is dominated by bergamot to match the color. It smells SOOOap good! I just hope I anchored it well enough so the sunshine effect still radiates this coming December!

P1030074.JPG

What a beautiful soap! The contrast is very nice, I don't think its too subtle at all. Reminds me of daybreak. I can't wait to hear how it feels in a few months, nicely done!

Here is the soleseife / brine bar I made this weekend. Colored with beta carotene (6 capsules in 700 g oil, split for different shades). I love the orange, but as you can see, I didn't get much contrast. Next time I'd use TD for one of the parts; I was lazy this time and didn't want to mess with it.

What are those capsules? Are they the same as the health food supplements with 25,000 IU (whatever that means)? And do you add them to the warm oils? I really like the colour. Your soap is lovely.

Yes, it is a supplement - also known as vitamin A. It is what makes carrots orange. You can get the same effect using carrot purée but that might leave a little more guess work or experimenting in how much to use for the shade you want, especially if you want to reproduce it. But carrots are a good option too, I have used them with success and they would of course be cheaper. But the capsules were so easy to use: just poke them, squirt the juice into a little extra oil to disperse it better before adding to your batter.

I don't remember the unit of measure for the capsules I used, but I'll look it up when I get home. I also don't remember how much I paid for the bottle, but I think it was pretty cheap on a per capsule basis.

ETA: I checked the beta carotene capsules. They are indeed 25,000 IUs, and the bottle of 50 was $13 USD at my local health food store. That comes out to$1.56 to color this batch. I know no one asked that, but I was kind of curious so thought I'd share. I'm sure you could get it cheaper with a little shopping around, especially outside of AK. Even so, it seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
amazing color! putting beta carotene capsules in my shopping list!

I'm curious, whether the beta carotene is going to be stable.

I used carrot juice and got nice orange soaps, but after a year or so the orange faded (it's still a lovely "apricot"). Probably the juice did not contain enough beta carotene.

Maybe the pure stuff is the clue.

I'm curious, whether the beta carotene is going to be stable. I used carrot juice and got nice orange soaps, but after a year or so the orange faded (it's still a lovely "apricot"). Probably the juice did not contain enough beta carotene. Maybe the pure stuff is the clue.

I'm glad you brought this up. I'll be watching for fading because I too saw fading in my carrot soap (which was made from fresh puree, not just the juice). I should also say that the color I got with the puree was a lot lighter than what I got here -- it was a delicate yellow rather than orange.

The carrot bar that faded the most was the one that I had taken to my office and propped on a ledge that is a register of the building's heating system, and also receives direct sunlight. The heat and light faded the wonderful scent of that bar too (patchouli and orange). I knew that location was not ideal, but I couldn't resist because I wanted to see and smell it all day long :p.

I still have three bars left of that batch (made 10 months ago), including one that's been sitting out in a display dish, and others that have been stored in a plastic semi-transparent box. Yellow is still present in all of them, though there is varying levels of fading. I'll see if I can to take some pictures later tonight and post along with the original pics, though if the lighting isn't right it might be hard to effectively compare. If I don't get it done tonight it will be awhile as I have a friend arriving tonight and we will be off to new adventures:-o

ETA: If I post pics, I won't put them here. I'll either put them in a new thread or in the original thread for my carrot soap at http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=39611

Last edited:
Back