Hydrogen sulphide (sulfide) smell!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robosqu1d

Reaction score
Hello
This morning I made a batch of goats' milk soap (my first attempt!) and although I'm quite pleased with the appearance there was a distinct smell of rotten eggs when I sliced it a short while ago :sick:

Has any one else noticed this with goats' milk soap? Does it mean I'll have a problem with it later? Half an hour later the rotten egg smell has gone and the Rosewood & Musk is there - faint, just about noticeable.

I have tried to attach a couple of pictures (hopefully - the system has crashed twice in the last few minutes...) The pink is considerably brighter in real life. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, my new phone arrives tomorrow :razz: so hopefully my pictures will improve from now on.

IMAG0841.jpg

IMAG0840.jpg

Beautiful Soaps and the Fragrance sound wonderful. Is it a fragrance or did you use Rosewood EO?
It will go away with cure. When I have made unfragranced gm soap, after the initial stinky smell to me it ends up with a bit of an almondy scent. That could just be my nose. I do not find it happens as much if you use the 50% water and 50% goats milk when making your soap.

It's normal to get that smell. I made milk soaps and for the first three days, it smelt really bad but give it a few more days and the rotten egg smell would go away like mine did

Both my goat's milk and beer soaps have that funky smell until fully cured. Not to worry. Very pretty soaps!!!

Many thanks for your reassurance and kind comments!
I am so pleased to hear my experience is normal.

The fragrance oil was called Rosewood & Musk, and came as part of a 'pot luck'mixed bunch from Silkmagik.co.uk - it's such fun opening the box when you get pot luck fragrances... pumpkin, nut grittle, banana, geranium mai, chocolate lime, meadow, etc. Truly stimulates your creativity!

Back