Why does Lard make soap darker?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angiem915

Reaction score
I noticed that a soap I made with lard in hp darkened after a couple weeks. Any thoughts on why this happens?

Did you use fragrance oil? Lard is supposed to contribute to a white bar, not dark. It would guess it would be any fragrance/EO that you used if you did.

My two lard soaps not white as well. One was scented with peppermint EO and the other with Chloe type FO. I think they both may have gelled (I made them 2-3 weeks ago), but I find it interesting that they are both similar in color.

Baby soft soap

Water 4.0
Lye 2.27

Oils

Lard 5.6
Coconut oil 4.0
Olive oil 6.4

Additives

Added to the oils and lye mixture 2.0 ounces coconut milk. After cooking. I added .25 ounces baby soft, red liquid coloring before putting into molds.

Either there is vanilla in the fragrance oil, or the colouring "matured" or "developed"
My lard/CO/OO soaps are very white, or if they gel, slightly translucent and white (so they look ever so slightly grey)

ETA I missed the coconut milk addition, it's possible that had an effect (I would first look at the FO ingredients, if possible)

Latest posts

Back