Need help tweaking recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KynkiSista

Reaction score
First of all I absolutely love this forum! I've been lurking around here for a year or so and finally decided to jump in. I'm thinking of trying to tweak the general 100% coconut oil recipe, I've made it with the 20% SF and love it but I want to jazz it up a bit if you will. So my thought is to make it at 0% SF HP and add Shea butter after cook as a SF. My question is do you think that b/c of the drying effect coconut oil causes do I still need to do the SF at 20% or would a 10-15% SF be sufficient? I was thinking for a small (approx.) 1lb test batch I could do:

Coconut Oil 10 oz

Water 3.8 oz
Lye - NaOH 1.832oz

Hardness79
Cleansing67
Conditioning 10
Bubbly 67
Creamy 12
Iodine10
INS 258

Then add an additional 1.59 oz of Shea after the cook as a 10% SF

I also want to add activated charcoal to the base oil before adding the lye water. So am I nuts to try the lower SF or could this actually work?

Honestly it all depends on you. I'm not bothered by a higher coconut content but for my sister she gets a dry rash. Everyone is different. It also matters what your using this for. If it is a mechanics or gardeners soap for grubby hands the coconut won't matter as much as it would for say a face bar. Even I wouldn't use a face bar with too high a coconut oil content but I'm not bothered by it in a bath bar.

Thanks for the reply Dorymae. My whole family has extremely dry skin but the 100% bar w/20% SF works great for us our skin also loves Shea so I was wanting a way to incorporate that into my bar. I was also thinking it may be ok as a facial bar. Idk maybe I am all the way off and just need to go back to the drawing board lol

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making Forum app

10% SF is plenty if you are adding 10% more after the cook. Another option is to make a CP salt bar, 80% coconut, 20% shea with a 20% SF. For a 1 lb batch, you can add between 8 and 16 oz of salt at medium trace and pour into cavity molds.

Hmm thanx Obsidian. I've actually never tried a salt bar :-/. Which I'm surprised because I'm literally obsessed with soaping lol. What is the benefit of salt bars?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making Forum app

Latest posts

Back