Recipe Critique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdicreations

Reaction score
I have come across this really great recipe and just wanted to know your thoughts/adjustments. The lather is instantaneous and powerfully fluffy! And the soap was really hard compared to non-shea bars. The first time I used this recipe, I added Geranium ess. oil and did not particularly care for the scent. I just wanted to be sure if I tried the same recipe and omitted the Geranium, would it still come out like the last one. Also, I’m thinking of switching from unrefined Shea to refined Shea. Will that make a difference in my recipes?

Olive oil 14.91 oz.
Coconut oil 7.46 oz.
Lard 5.64 oz.
Raw, Unrefined African Shea 3.4 oz.
Castor oil 3.73 oz.
Coconut milk 4 oz. (at light trace)

Water 11.94
Lye 5.12
Tussah Silk fibers (cottonball sized)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why it wouldn't come out the same. Both refined and unrefined shea butter have the same SAP number (.128 ), and the geranium EO is just for scent and shouldn't have any influence on the outcome or performance of the finished soap except for how it smells.

I think you should be fine!

IrishLass :)

When I run the recipe through SoapCalc I get 4.841 oz NaOH! (SF=5%)
Even at 0% Superfat I'm still below the 5.12 you mention: 5.096!

It looks like a nice soap, when you adjust the lye; and if you're happy with it... :D

It is a strange recipe though if you look at the weights and % - one of the 2 should be whole numbers , so I assume it used to be in grams and someone ran it through conversion tables.

This makes the most sense to me, and close enough to your original recipe.

Total of 32 oz./2 Pounds
22% CO
15% Lard
43% OO
10% Shea
10% Castor Oil

You might try to sub the Shea butter for Cocoa butter and see how you like it! :)

I'm not sure how I came about the recipe, but I tried the soap and it was amazing! Usually all of my soaps feel the same in my skin but I couldn't figure out how I came up with the lye values

No doubts it is nice lather and very hard, is not that percentage of CO too high? I can not use anything above 15. too drying

Last edited:
Back