Strange DB & New Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DB on the left was made with Salt Brine & Beer, DB on right is made with beer. Check out the color difference and TD was not added to the full batch of batter. These are my extra scrubby DB soaps.
Stupid photobucket would not save the cropped picture
IMG_0263_zps61807942.jpg

Pics of a couple new Salt bars. First is Big Sur. Second is Sweetgrass. They are made with fine salt and DS but at approx 110% salt so they look pretty rough

IMG_0257_zps3abb49ee.jpg

IMG_0258_zpsd155ad58.jpg

I am so glad that you posted this picture (top). I knew that all of my brine bars were coming out with muted color, steamed them, and it wasn't soda ash. I finally figured out that the brine gave this cloudy and lighter effect. So I had been thinking about doing a white bar, or super bright color. I think I might go for the super bright and see what happens.

Hi, Carolyn -- Your mention of sweetgrass piqued my interest. Did you use a sweetgrass FO or an infusion/tincture of sweetgrass?

That first pic is a big difference isnt it. So does that mean that a vanilla would only go creamy brown? i wonder.
You guys keep posting pics of salt bars, and i love them, but have not made one in so long.
They all look lovely.

I've used sweetgrass FO from Nature's Garden and like it. (And it's one of the few scents I've tried that my nose actually agrees with the supplier's description!) I am certain I saw the sweetgrass FO at soapalooza recently, but it's disappeared from the website when I looked today. Maybe Kelly is out of stock on that FO.

I just purchased some sweetgrass plants to grow in my garden. I know some people infuse the dried grass in oil to make a scented perfume oil.

I've heard that one can also make soap from infused oil and the scent actually survives in the soap. Not sure if the soap idea is just wishful thinking, the sneaky use of FO, or really truly for real -- serious info is scarce, but I'm curious to try it someday because the scent is pleasant in soap and a soap made with an infusion of real sweetgrass would make a great gift for some of my friends.

I have infused oils by pressure cooking rosemary, lavender, basil with water and oil, then pressing the plant material. This makes a strong infusion, but have had no success with the scent coming through the soap. There is only one herb I know that the scent will come through. I am very interested in knowing if the sweetgrass comes through and if it does think I will also plant some

Been doing more reading about sweetgrass and soap. According to one soaper, the sweetgrass scent does survive CP, but it's weak. Not sure whether the poster giving this info did any more experimentation to get a stronger infusion, but there ya go.

It may be that the sweetgrass and sage scent blend that is also intriguing me will have to be a blend of sweetgrass FO and sage EO.

"...There is only one herb I know that the scent will come through...."

Mint?

Sweetcakes has a fantastic FO that is Sweetgrass, Sage and Cedar, it is one of my most favorite but I have not purchased the fo due to cost and shipping. :lol: During one of my spring and fall craft shows I purchase it from another vendor at the show. She orders a lot from Sweetcakes so she always makes this soap. At least she is not paying shipping on 1 bottle of fo. Would cost me $56 per lb

I have also infused a lot of herbs from my garden in oil (rosemary, nettles, calendula, rose petals, citrus zest) but I have only been successful with cinnamon (not from my garden :( ) as far as scenting the soap. The cinnamon scent is subtle but does not fade and it has a little 'almondy' note going with it too. Great for honey oatmeal soap sans FO.

Back