molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can I use a metal cake pan for a mold with freezer paper? The corners would need finishing off and I figured roll the leftovers into balls for embeds. The thing is it can withstand heat, the oven to gel, etc...but does the lye react with the coating to create "problems" ie chemicals in the soap, fumes etc? I would think it wouldn't work, but maybe it would? I want a small flatter mold for doing peacock swirls and fancy designs. I want no more than a 6 bar mold for this if I have to purchase it. All the small ones are loaf, or bb carries a 4" wide x 3 3/4" (appx) long mold 2" tall, and a 6"x6"x1 7/8", but it makes for the wrong size bars I'd think for this project. I don't want 10 plus bars, and bb 9 bar birchwood is beyond my pocketbook. So cake pan I have here already for free, or purchase a smaller mold with which I have no clue which to get for this specific project? Any suggestions welcomed!

would this mold help?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A3I4FO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I saw this on the MMS site...in one of their recipes, it said they use these Rubbermaid drawer organizers (lined with a plastic bag) for their test batches. When I looked for it on Amazon, it is listed for $4.99.

I would avoid the cake pans...even if you line it, the soap batter may leak and react with the metal if they are aluminum.

Lisa FL.

oh sorry! I just re-read your post. I see now you want a slab-type mold.
maybe a small plastic cat litter pan (new) that you can line? I have read somewhere that someone started out using that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That tray looks awesome! I may get this for more of a slab http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/6-Silicone-Slab-Mold-P5821.aspx, but I'll want a loaf as well...so I'll check out the ones on amazon drawer sized. Maybe Wal-Mart has drawer like plastics for cheap, or better yet, goodwill!
I think this can make 6 flatter soaps for swirling. Thx for your tip!

For anyone that is reading and cares, since this is hobby, I decided to go with these two molds. One loaf will hold 4 4oz bars, and one slab I believe will hold 6 4-5 oz bars, for swirls and such.
It's cheap and bb is having a special, so I snagged it up today.
Will post the links in another comment box. If I copy and paste the links while on my phone between windows, it erases all my comment box and I have to retype it all out. Not so smart phone eh?

http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/4-Silicone-Loaf-Mold-P5531.aspx
This is the loaf I wound up getting...

http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/6-Silicone-Slab-Mold-P5821.aspx

And the slab. There was a coupon code that applies to these on their front page. I hope we are allowed to post links to things we purchase. If not, please forgive and remove. Anyway, since I wasn't making a big purchase on amazon yet, I can't do the add ons that were mentioned. Since these were on sale, I said ok!

Those are both excellent choices, lionprincess! I use the small slab mold often for test batches. It can take a bit longer to unmold because of the silicone so I put mine in the freezer for 30-60 min, then pull the sides away, invert on my work surface and push a bit on the bottom (which is now on top) and it slowly slides out. All the corners stay nice and square with no residual soap left in the mold. It makes perfect 2" x 3" bars & weight will just depend on how full it's filled. I just picked up a couple more during the BB sale too. Have fun with them!:lol:

Thx for the tip! I've watched Anne Marie on many tutorials and have seen her do exactly what you said to release the silicone from the mold. I planned to stop gel by cooling anyway (haven't made a batch yet, but soap volcanoes scare the crap outta me!!!!!!). Thx again! Probably should've bought more, but I really am not making as much as a seller. My eyes are bigger than my pocketbooks right now getting supplies lol!

Milk cartons

I mold all if my soaps in milk cartons lined with parchment paper. It works very well and fits up to 2 lbs; no leaking, spillage and I am recycling at the same time.

would this mold help?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A3I4FO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I saw this on the MMS site...in one of their recipes, it said they use these Rubbermaid drawer organizers (lined with a plastic bag) for their test batches. When I looked for it on Amazon, it is listed for $4.99.

I would avoid the cake pans...even if you line it, the soap batter may leak and react with the metal if they are aluminum.

Lisa FL.

oh sorry! I just re-read your post. I see now you want a slab-type mold.
maybe a small plastic cat litter pan (new) that you can line? I have read somewhere that someone started out using that.

I purchased a loaf mold very similar to this ^^^ one at my local dollar store. Guess how much it cost me? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back