Dragons blood soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahutchins9

Reaction score
I got my hand on some dragons blood resin today and wanted to try it out in soap. I have seen a soaping 101 video before where she infused the resin in oil and used it. She states that the scent is still there after saponification. Would this be true? I don't want to use it if it isn't and I have a hard time believing it will. Also if so how much resin should I start with? ( I make 5lb batches at a time )

Don't forget it will turn out very very red. In fact db resin is sometimes used for coloring paint. I have not seen her video but my experience I get no fragrance from the infused resin. I just used it to help color my red portion of my DB soap. LOL, label appeal in my case since I just use a half ounce or so in my 6 lb batches :). I would also question if she knows any scent is left since DB fo is very strong on its own. Or did she not use DB fo?

I don't know about dragon's blood but I recently made soap with frankincense & myrrh infused oil and the scent did not survive. Wish I would have saved the oil for lotion instead.
If I was you, I would try a 1 lb batch first to test it. I seriously doubt anything but a very, very faint scent would remain and I expect that would fade with cure.

Don't forget it will turn out very very red. In fact db resin is sometimes used for coloring paint. I have not seen her video but my experience I get no fragrance from the infused resin. I just used it to help color my red portion of my DB soap. LOL, label appeal in my case since I just use a half ounce or so in my 6 lb batches :). I would also question if she knows any scent is left since DB fo is very strong on its own. Or did she not use DB fo?

She states in her video that she is not using any fragrance at all just the infused resin as scent. I found it a little hard to believe which is why I asked. I could still use it for color which is great since it's very hard to get a natural red colorant ( I use madder root now ). I plan on using it as an infused oil for leave on products as well. Just didn't want to use a bunch of it in soap and be disappointed. So a half ounce is good for getting a nice deep red?

I really do not use it just for color, more for label appeal. The resin I have had really does not have any or extremely little scent. Maybe hers was different. Mine, I purchase from Rose Mountain Herbs. For me Madder root sucks as colorant. All I ever get is yuck gray

I really do not use it just for color, more for label appeal. The resin I have had really does not have any or extremely little scent. Maybe hers was different. Mine, I purchase from Rose Mountain Herbs. For me Madder root sucks as colorant. All I ever get is yuck gray

Me too ( madder root) Maybe it's a hot process vs cold process thing??

I don't have a problem getting a red with the madder root it's just kinda muted like a brick red

Back