How to wrap circular soaps like this

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex1982

Reaction score
I have 2 soaps I make that are circular and have just been putting them in bags, but I'd like to learn how to wrap them like this. Anyone that does this or can help, instructions or anything, would be greatly appreciated!
[/ATTACH]

il_570xN.596619983_lia4.jpg

It's not hard to do. With the soap centered in the filter, bring up the first piece of the edge of the filter and begin "gathering it" pleating as you go around the soap. If your soap is fairly large (say 4oz or so) you shouldn't have much excess and so you can just apply a label to hold the pleats. If your soap is smaller you may have to trim the ends so they don't bunch up too much under the label.

Wow, that's a great idea. But what's the diameter of these soaps? I'm using a pringles can.

Ps: anyone know if i can CPOP a pringles can?

I've actually never seen tan filters, but I don't drink coffee... I'll have to look for them.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a great idea. But what's the diameter of these soaps? I'm using a pringles can.

Ps: anyone know if i can CPOP a pringles can?

I've actually never seen tan filters, but I don't drink coffee... I'll have to look for them.

Unbleached coffee filters are available almost anywhere coffee filters are available.

I would not CPOP a Pringles can. That paper has a plastic coating, and I am unsure of the melting point of that.

I guess it's better to stay on the safe side. I used to use pvc piping for round soap but lost the pipe in a move and never bought a new one. Never cpop-ed my round soap but the thought came to mind.

Bex,

The coffee filters are the recycled or "natural" coffee filters. You can find them in most large grocery stores.

On this topic, I have had terrible experience with labels (in terms of weak adhesive) and so would be afraid to try this method...

Are there any good label brands/suppliers anyone can recommend? I would think for this kind of wrapping a fairly strong adhesive is necessary to hold it all together nicely, right?

In the past I've resorted to (cough) hand-gluing my labels down when they peel up... eventually I decided it wasn't worth it and changed my packaging strategy altogether. Now I use tags and jute cord. Which looks nice, so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Are there any good label brands/suppliers anyone can recommend? I would think for this kind of wrapping a fairly strong adhesive is necessary to hold it all together nicely, right?

I'm just using Avery labels bought at Staples .. I have no problems with mine sticking and I don't use any extra glue, string or anything.

I wonder if cupcake papers would work. Maybe the regular size or the jumbo size. They are the same idea as coffee filters but come in a lot of pretty designs.

i don't see why not. i think there was a tutorial on youtube, she was using a plain white, big cupcake liner. sorry i forgot who did the tutorial.

baking paper would also work. i just tried it last night.

I wonder if cupcake papers would work. Maybe the regular size or the jumbo size. They are the same idea as coffee filters but come in a lot of pretty designs.

that's a great idea. Etsy sells a lot of them with cute designs.

[/QUOTE]Are there any good label brands/suppliers anyone can recommend? I would think for this kind of wrapping a fairly strong adhesive is necessary to hold it all together nicely, right?[/QUOTE]

I get mine from onlinelabels.com and so far they've all had pretty good adhesive (knock on wood).

Coffee filters or large cupcake papers both work fine. I use 8-12 cup and 4-cup sizes depending on the soap circumference. I found some circular thingie-storers in an office supply store that are a little bigger than the soaps. I put a soap in the middle of the paper, place the filter in the thingie, smooth the edges around, then apply the sticker while it's still in the thingie, take it out and firmly press the sticker all around. Works like a charm.

There's a commercial machine to do this kind of wrapping. I'm not saying one needs this machine to do the job, but here's a video about the machine -- it might give you some ideas. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAvUXTNeyw[/ame]

Paillo's suggeston for a "thingie" triggered my memory of this video. You'll see the soap fits snugly into a cavity in the machine before the paper is wrapped around it. That recess "thingie" is what gives a nice, snug wrap.

Coffee filters or large cupcake papers both work fine. I use 8-12 cup and 4-cup sizes depending on the soap circumference. I found some circular thingie-storers in an office supply store that are a little bigger than the soaps. I put a soap in the middle of the paper, place the filter in the thingie, smooth the edges around, then apply the sticker while it's still in the thingie, take it out and firmly press the sticker all around. Works like a charm.

I love Thingies :)

Latest posts

Back